Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow chains Q for the here and there snow driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
1st Gear
Default snow chains Q for the here and there snow driver

1997 TQM

From the SF bay area and make the occasional trip to Tahoe (and last weekend during the storm)...

Manual says no chains - use snow tires I guess.

However, I would like to know;

1) Is it still safe for my car to use chains?

2) Where to put the pair of chains, front or rear? (Ran a good search and ran across an STI site where chains were suggested on all 4 tires to not screw up the symmetcial awd system!??! - not sure if this applies or not)

3) Put on all 4 tires?

4) Or just dont go up where theres a blizzard? (such as last weekend)

Please advise.

Thanks,
Fritz

Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: snow chains Q for the here and there snow driver

You shouldn't need chains at all, as long as your quattro has half-way decent tires, and you don't drive like a jacka$$. If you were to putchains on, my guess would be that all four tires would be the way to go. I couldn't see any reason why a A4 quattro would need chains though...

Edited: Capital Q's removed from quattro. Thanks Mr. Flippant.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Site Moderator

Chains?

Quattro + Snow tires=
Name:  1-14th15th-06Storm003.jpg
Views: 10317
Size:  56.2 KB

Just remember to brake way earlier than you think you should and when the *** slides out, turn the wheel in the same direction the back is sliding to.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Site Moderator

Oh yeah, sometimes caltrans will make you put chains on. If you must put chains on, do all 4.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
4th Gear

And just for clarification, your reference to "Symmetrical AWD" applies only to Subarus - your Audi has a proprietaryTorSen-basedpermanent mechanical AWD system withrear Electronic Differential Lockingcalled 'quattro' (the 'q' is NOT capitalized). Which is, like, way better. But if you use chains, you should definitely put them on all four tyres, since all four wheels are powered, all the time. Best bet is still snow tyres, though. And DEFINITELY go up there in a blizzard, and have fun! Just don't get too crazy and kill yourself or break your car.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the replies all.

Iask about putting the chains on all the wheels because Istarted seeing these SUVs which I am positive are 4wd or awd (rav4?) but theyre only putting chains on the rear tires...

agreed, in the most severe conditions, cal-trans will put the awd with chains requirement at the check point.

GREAT PICTURE OF AN A4 IN A BLIZZARD BTW!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Definitely chain all four if you're going to, or don't do it at all. Like the others said, if you have somewhat decent tires, quattro will do all the work. Just make sure you brake before hand, awd keeps traction in most circumstances but the ice will win most of the time.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
5th Gear

chains+quattro=mount everest climbing lol. serious doubt you ever need chains, just get a set of nokians.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 PM

yeah i dont think you would need chains on your tires, as stated quattro and a good set of tires and your ace... have fun and always remember that yeah, you can take off like a bat out of hell but you cant stop on a dime[8D]i learned this very quickly with my car ha good luck

Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 AM
1st Gear

CHP can require that you carry chains regardless of your AWD status. In reality though you'll get waved through most of the time, but for the rare occasion that they are checking for chains on 4x4/AWD and the road hasn't been outright closed yet... You should have some in the trunk just to show the officer. Unlikely that you'll have to put them on, but they might ask to see them.

Quick Reply: snow chains Q for the here and there snow driver