Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice please? Dealing with a dealer in mass.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Default Some advice please? Dealing with a dealer in mass.

I bought my A4 1.8t almost three weeks ago from a dealership in Massachusetts. I paid $6,999 for the car and it has 94,000 miles on it. The car seemed to be perfect...

When I test drove the car however I did not take it on the highway. When I got on the highway (on my way home to Maine) and started to go in to a turn I realized that the passsenger side wheel bearing was bad. I figured however I could deal with that and have it fixed, or fix it myself soon.

I made a point to ask several times if all the electronics worked on the car and from what I could tell they did. I got home and put a CD in the stock CD changer and what do you know it does nothing but make grinding noises and say error on the screen. I figured again I could deal with that. I took my take deck adapter out and poped it into the Stereo and again a grinding sound and it eats my tape adapter. I had to pry it out. I finaly got an FM transmitter and started to enjoy my music... Then find that the rear "woofers" are blown in the Bose system.

I figured thats just part of buying a used car...

Then about a week ago the flex pipe broke clean off... to be fixed correctly this is an expensive part as it should be relaced from the cat back tot he flex. I was quoted at $200 to simply have the flex pipe cut out and a new one wedled in. (I put a flex pipe in from Auto Zone with some exhaust clamps after getting tired of Civics and CaviLOLs racing me at stop lights.

So at this point I'm kind of mad because I feel a dealer should tell you things that are wrong with the car so I know what I;m getting into especialy since the car was owned by the dealers sister AND Massachusets has a "No leamon law"

I have a friend who had bought an Integra in Mass from a dealer for $3,000 and the tranny went the dealer gave him $500 to fix it.
He said I should be able to get some money out of this to fix things.

Should I bug them or do I just need to deal with the facts of buying used?

(Sorry for such a long post I hope some of you take the time to read it though.)

Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Some advice please? Dealing with a dealer in mass.

most dealerships have an "as-is" clause...so you're pretty much out of luck, because when you buy the vehicle, you're buying it as that, "as-is".

sorry to hear.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Right I know and I have bought cars at dealers in other states before and you sign a sort of "as is" waiver. This isn't the case it seems in mass however because I signed nothing that said that and I've been told there is a sort of unwritten 30 day warranty in Mass.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Promaine

Right I know and I have bought cars at dealers in other states before and you sign a sort of "as is" waiver. This isn't the case it seems in mass however because I signed nothing that said that and I've been told there is a sort of unwritten 30 day warranty in Mass.
well if that is the case, then i would verify that with someone, and then go into the dealershipand disclose the issues to them.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

There is a lemon law in Mass...

Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Bug them. In MA there is a law that basically says any problem within x amount of time has to be fixed by the seller or if it equals x amount, the buyer has the option of getting all of his money back for the car. That's vaguely what the law states, and if you do a search for it online you can know exactly what your options are. I would bug them completely about it, unless you have money to throw away and don't care about being lied to. I'm surprised you're even asking.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Cyberlogic beat me by about 30 seconds. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 PM

Ok thanks.
I did read about the lemon law online but I was a bit confused about how it all worked...
I certainly don't have the money to throw away and I am pretty irritated about it all.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM

I used to work at a mercedes dealer the best way to go backand deal with the problem is to be calm and easy about it and please dont get them mad or threaten them with a lawyer lol because than sometimes dealers think u are a scumbag (in reality they are the sscum lol) but yea go back have them check it out cause i am sure u got some kind of warranty if it 3 weeks because dealers want u to refer them to friends and family and dont want u to leave pissed posting bad sh*t about them on forums lol so good luck go get ur problems fixed

Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Call me if that doesn't work out for you and we can go shoot up the place!

Only not really. Just be ultra-persistant to them.

Quick Reply: Some advice please? Dealing with a dealer in mass.