Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something not quit right??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Something not quit right??

So I decided to test my 0-60 time this evening since it was nice night (around 65 degrees), just to see what I would do. I used my cell phone for the test. I did three runs from a dead stop
1) 10 seconds
2) 9 seconds
3) 10 seconds...nearly 11

My car is a 98.5 1.8quattro with the tiptronic. I was driving in D, since I had to hold the phone with one hand. I have the APR 91 oct chip, 006 forge dv, k&n cone filter with heat shield diy. I do have a boost gauge, and honestly, i wasn't checking the boost gauge during the test, since I was more focused on the road and the mph, but I peak @ 18 and hold15-18 psi consistantly in pretty much every gear except for 1 and 2. I don't think I have a leak.

After the test, I pulled into my garage and popped the hood, just to make sure I the filter wasn't hot, and it wasn't (no heatsoak). My turbo was bright red, but i hear that is normal after hard driving.

So those times are too high right? I read on these forums that those times should be for a stock car.... Any idea as to what could be wrong? Also...I have no CELs.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Something not quit right??

Wow... that is bad.

I get there in 8.1 in a my whip, no chip.. only had exhaust, did 3 runs, highest was a 8.3

Brother timed them, using a stop watch... in 85 degrees, hot humid sun, full gas

Whats with people and 10 seconds while chipped![:'(]

Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

post up red hot turbo PICS!!! my 01 a4 1.8t quattro tiptronic Stock w/ cone filter does 0-60 in 8 seconds flat.How are your spark plugs?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

I felt like that was super slow too....pretty frustrating

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of my red hot turbo....only because I heard it was normal.. As for my plugs - I am fairly certain they would not be the issue....I just replaced them 300 - 500 miles ago. I'm using the NGK BKR6E and they are gapped correctly. After I got chipped, my car would surge under WOT, and since I changed the plugs...the surge went away.

Oh.....I don't know if this would help anybody with a diagnosis but, I got the car smoggeda few days ago and it passed, no problem

Old 06-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Join the club. Tiptronic's SUCK in the 0-60.

At least i have altitude as an excuse (i live at around 4,500 ft. - lose about 15%).

Old 06-01-2007, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

So you are saying it's normal...even with the mods....dang?????? I wish I would have tried this when I was stock, so I could have compared it...

Old 06-01-2007, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

So you are saying it's normal...even with the mods....dang?????? I wish I would have tried this when I was stock, so I could have compared it...

Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: less_of_me

I don't know what to think. For me, I think it's normal. But then you have other guys claiming to do 8 seconds completely stock.

But I don't have any problems with the car, so it is what it is.

It's just that initial couple of seconds - with the tiptronic. Takes forever to hit boost, and by then it's too late. From a rolling start, the chip and even new injectors have kicked butt - and made a big difference. But from a dead stop, tiptronic's suck.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

there are so many factors that play in the 0-60 timing. Heat, altitude, oil, spark plugs, etc. Try going down hill :]

Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

i done my 0-60 the other day,low-11's. iwas doing it uphill with a toolbox in the boot and a passenger timming me, i had quite a bit of waeight in my car that day.
so if i done a 0-60 properly i would be in the mid-9's.
1996 A4 2.8L V6 12V FWD automatic.
only engine mod is a KnN CAI (long ram).

Quick Reply: Something not quit right??