AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   southbend q's (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/southbend-qs-39609/)

luvin_the_rings 08-23-2006 02:43 AM

southbend q's

ok guys, im gettin ok at launching my quattro, however in doing so, i have toasted my cluch

im on a VERY tight buget so im defantly gonna keep the stock flywheel, however i want to be able to launch my quattro without worrying about the cluch...

i was looking at the rallyseries stage 1 from southbend, as i hear nothing but good things...
i was also looking at the stage 1 from spec, b/c alot of people seem to like them...

would i be ok racing on the weekends with these and not having to replace the cluch every year? or should i just get a stage 2 or tz series?

thx guys

Beer Mod 08-23-2006 03:01 AM

RE: southbend q's

puck has a lil chatter for the first 500mi or so and is way over kill for DD, I would not go that way. As for the others IDK, but if I were you I'd stay away from the puck.....

luvin_the_rings 08-23-2006 03:03 AM

so that takes out dxd, but will the stage 1's be enough?

oh yea and this somthing that a mildly mechanicly inclined person could do in their driveway? or is it one of those other jobs... :D

Beer Mod 08-23-2006 03:08 AM

I am going stage two (non puck), I think we can afford to have a lil stiffer pedal.

luvin_the_rings 08-23-2006 03:09 AM

thats spec right?

Beer Mod 08-23-2006 03:10 AM

Make sure what ever you get it's spring loaded. Non sprung clutches like the 6 puck in my DSM are impossible to slip. In or out that's all you get...lol

Beer Mod 08-23-2006 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

thats spec right?

Well no I was just over on AZ and Emil@renn-art was raving about this stage 2 with a 7lb flywheel soooooo I going with that. Check it out it's like 5 posts down under the B5 forum. He has pics up and it looks great.

luvin_the_rings 08-23-2006 03:19 AM

fyi:
the spec stage 2 is $499 and is pure kevlar with a 330 torque max

the hd tz series from southbend is $395 but only allows for a 290 torque max, but it has kevlar with a metal backing that allows for a 12,000 rpm bursting point

however the hd ofe series from southbend is $450 with a 335 torque max. the ofe has a Feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a "Medium Metal" content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life.

at this point it seems that if you want to big turbo none would be what you wanted, however for a chip and exhaust car that runs all weekend every weekend at the strip the choice would be the ofe, low cost and higher torque max than the spec...

but for a guy like me who just wants to go to the strip maby one a month and run it hard the tz series would be for me...

either way its a question of money between the tz and the spec/ofe

whew!

AudiCross 08-23-2006 03:19 AM

I think with your current mods, stage one wouldnt be a problem.

I am currently saving up for a clutch/.flywheel form 3bennett racing in Davis. It is a 9 LB flywheel with something wiers, so it has multiple plates, like a motorcycle. It is about $1800 with install. It will eb friggen rockin.

luvin_the_rings 08-23-2006 03:28 AM

^^^ adding a lwfw just makes it too expensive, thats a story for another day, i think i might just go with stage 1 from spec, or the tz from southbend...