Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific question on HID's I can't find answer thru searching...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Specific question on HID's I can't find answer thru searching...

I know all the experts are getting beaten to death by us newbies, but I already did a search and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 2004 A4 with halogen lamps from the factory. I just picked up HID lamps (complete with ballast and the whole shot) taken off a car of the same model that was HID from the factory. To install these on my car what will I need to do? Will it be a direct plug and go, or will I need a wiring harness adapter or some sort or splicing or what? If this topic has been covered and I was unable to find it, just point me in the right direction... I greatly appreciate your help with this!

John

Old 03-03-2005, 06:10 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Specific question on HID's I can't find answer thru searching...

well you will probably have to find some adapters to fit the bulbs in there. I made my own using some old H7 bulbs I cut up.

look at the writeup on http://www.oemhid.com to see use of an adapter.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

Do you have the housings for D2S bulbs?

Old 03-03-2005, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Jest,
It comes with all that... it has lamp housing, ballast/igniter, bulbs, wiring harness... It is a complete HID unit (left and right) with everything on it; it was a take off of a car with all new components.

My question is do I need an adapter for the wiring harness; i.e. do the HID and Halogen wiring harnesses differ and if so how do I connect the HID harness to a halogen harness setup? Thanks in advance...

John

Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

crazyhawk,
yes it has D2S housing and D2S bulbs, with everything on it. It's a complete factory take off of a car that came factory equipped with HID's.

John

Old 03-03-2005, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

you should be able to just hook it up, but make sure to connect the balasts and starters, but if it's already off another car that should be done for you already..... You'll just need to find a place to put the extra equipment, on the stock headlight housings, there is a place for the HID balast under the Housing....

Old 03-03-2005, 07:18 PM

You will need to change the harness the HID harnees has a lot more power running though it than the haedlights without HID's

Old 03-03-2005, 07:22 PM
6th Gear

I disagree. I don't think it's necessary to change out any of the wiring up to the light. I have been running mine for almost 2 years no problem. Xenon is 35 watts, halogen is 55 watts.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:27 PM

are you just running bulbs or what ? or those aftermarket HID kits that I have personaly heard are not good at all ?

Old 03-04-2005, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your help guys... I'm going to take a look at this sometime this weekend and I'll let you know what I think. If I run into any problems I'll let you know or if it was a piece of cake... Thanks again!

John

Quick Reply: Specific question on HID's I can't find answer thru searching...