Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting trouble, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Starting trouble, Please help

Recently my A4 1.8tq has been taking a lot longer to start. I have no engine light, i have changed the cts.
Occasionally it starts fine. but usually cranks a lot and puffs smoke on start up. Please help its getting on my ****.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Starting trouble, Please help

cts = temperature sensor?... u said u have no CEL, did you actually scan it, coz for some errors u not gonna get a light, but u might have a code… try this first…
it’s really hard to help… we need more info; year, mileage, what was done to the car (mods), maintains...

Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Yes the temp sensor. I have checked ecu with vag com, and there are no codes. The car is a 1.8tq 2001 model with 85000 0n clock with a good history. It had spark plugs 8000 miles ago and always has fully synthetic oil. This starting problem came on suddenly and is relatively constant.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Do you have to jump it every time? maybe bad altenator or battery

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

No i dont haveto jump car. it does start but takes a lot longer than it useto. And i haveto press accelerator, otherwise even slower start. engine is cranking nicely so i dont think battery.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

Air filter may be dirty. I changed the MAF sensor at 87K mi. do to a code.
If you changed the battery, do a throttle body alignment.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

Mine does the same thing every so often. I also get a gurgoling sound from the back of the car. i am thinking my fuel filter might be dirty. i need to replace that here soon.

Josh

Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 PM
4th Gear

i think you just solved one of my problems, the car recently started to make a gurgling soundin the the back, i think that might be it.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

Ok, So I have norrowed it down to it seems my car (Howard Mawditt does yours do this to?) But it only seems to have trouble starting when the gas tank is full. I filled it up this morning on my way to work and when I went to start the car it wouldn't start. It took me almost a full min of turning it over and pumping the gas pedal to get it to start. Once it's running there is no problems. Oh and it was really embarasing to have the nicest car at the station and then not have it start. Everyone was staring at me[:'(][] I am going to have it scanned again tonight to see if there are any codes. But anyone have any other ideas? Could the fuel filter cause this?

Josh

Old 04-26-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem. The engine had to turn quitea while after filling up with gas, then it was fine after. Turned out to be a problem with the evap canister.

Quick Reply: Starting trouble, Please help