Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 06:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering wheel

Hi,

I have a 95 A4.

Apparently the previous owner picked at the steering wheel while in traffic :-o

Several solutions:

i ) I thought to replace it with a steering wheel from the later model from a breakers yard. The later wheel has the four audi circles in silver (nice).
Q. Any one know if these are compatible.
Q. Are special precautions required because of the air bag ?

ii) Buy a nice wheel cover not cheap fake leather ones.

Q. Was there ever an Audi-original one i.e. as an accessory.
Q. Perhaps a tasteful audi-branded one is available. Anyone know of any good sites

I am in Europe, by the way - Ireland

Ben

Old 03-20-2005, 07:03 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Steering wheel

Yikes, expect to pay a fortune for a a wheel, even from the "breakers" as you had suggested... they are very very very expensive. Steering wheel covers are horrible... If you can part with the airbag, you could look into aftermarket stuff (momo, grant). the airbag is 10 years old now anyways, who knows if it'd work! haha :P Keep your eye on ebay though, there are steering wheels on there all the time, and your saving grace, is that if you can find the same wheel... they often are sold without airbags (because the airbag deployed) so you can use your airbag, and switch it over to your new wheel... THAT would be the best/cheapest solution, but you'll have to be patient, and just keep watching ebay until your wheel, without airbag, gets put up for auction.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Administrator

I have a 96 A4 and it had the ugly 4 spoke wheel on there. I swithced it with a Sport one from another 96. I bought it off somebody with Airbag not deployed for fairly cheap... just dont turn the key on while the airbag is unplugged it will cause your Airbag light to go off. easy to fix if you have VAGCOM though!! Best of luck to you

Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

Redgoat,

I agree early 4 spoke one is ugly. I'm not familiar with the "sport" wheel. Do you have a pic ?

I have found a 98 whell at a breakers yard but he is reluctant to sell. It seems he doesnt want any responsibility for the airbag possibly not going off ....

Old 03-26-2005, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bosullivan

Hi,

I have a 95 A4.

Apparently the previous owner picked at the steering wheel while in traffic :-o

Several solutions:

i ) I thought to replace it with a steering wheel from the later model from a breakers yard. The later wheel has the four audi circles in silver (nice).
Q. Any one know if these are compatible.
Q. Are special precautions required because of the air bag ?

ii) Buy a nice wheel cover not cheap fake leather ones.

Q. Was there ever an Audi-original one i.e. as an accessory.
Q. Perhaps a tasteful audi-branded one is available. Anyone know of any good sites

I am in Europe, by the way - Ireland

Ben
hahah, post some pics of the wheel

Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 PM

sparco has a hub adapter and even a quick releasesystem that works w/their hubs soooooo.......i think i'm going there !!!! '02 A4 3.0 6spd quattro. the only thing i need to figure out is the resistance value i need to trick the srs system.........anyone out there know??????

Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear

deal with the peeled wheel and put the money towards performance. the car is old and you probly wont have it long.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM

I dont honestly know why people have fear of the airbag going off when the negative terminal on the battery is disconnected because the system requires a 12 volt supply to be active, its not like the ECU which has memory back up its simply on or its not??

Old 05-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Avant 80, it is called ESD or electro-static discharge. It is highly possible that ESD can cause the airbag to ignight...

Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM

highly unlikely the system is much more sophisticated than that, basically what your saying is every time you get in the car there is a chance you could deploy the airbags by static[:-]sorry mate not having that

Quick Reply: Steering wheel