Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stero...Subs...Head Unit!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Stero...Subs...Head Unit!!! :(

Aight here is another one.... I have done some research on the forums but nothing has come up that is useful. I just bought Audi: 1997 A4 2.8 Quatro and am interested in upgrading the sound system. I am willing to spend a good amount of money and had a few questions. I want to put subwoofers in my car but i dont know how compatible the subs would be with the stock head unit. dose the stock head unit have RCA jacks? If thats not an option i have not been able to find a after market head unit that would fit in the dash AND look good with the stock look of things. Also, i would obviously want to be able to have some kind of equlizers to adjust the bass. what is the best way to go about the whole thing?

Stolz

Old 10-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Default RE: Stero...Subs...Head Unit!!! :(

what audio system do you have. its not to likely that your head unit has rca jacks. youll need like a 1000 watt 5 channel amp to drive new compnets up front and back along with one or two subs. you also want an optima battery, either a new replacement or run two batteries.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:55 PM
6th Gear

There are no RCA lines exactly on the Delta headunit. What I did was splice into the low level inputs that run to the factory amp (I have the bose system). Some amps have a remote bass control you can mount up front.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:05 PM

thats pretty damn smart. i disconnected the factory amp and did the 1000 watt thing. with JL Audio componets in the front and rear.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear

It's like any other fatory system, the manufacture makes it difficult to make any modifications to their system. Like by putting an amp on every speaker and running weird ohm loads. It certainly can be done. What system do you have?

Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

I've got a Rockford Fosgate amp powering my two subs, and I strongly suggest you get an amp with the bass remote, as was mentioned earlier. If you tune the sound while driving with four windows down and the sunroof open, then park and have the windows up, you'll notice your ears exploding. Or if you generally drive with the windows up and lower them, so much of the bass escapes. It's so much easier when a simply turn of a **** adjusts the bass perfectly.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

I just put in a thousand dollar system in my car. Here are some things I learned in the process...

1) Pioneer has a really good reputation for headunits. Even just chainging the headunit will dramatically make your system sound better. They will run 50 watts to each speaker. Furthermore, this will sound pretty good as 2000+ (I'm not sure about earlier models) have component speakers as stock.

2) Also I got a Rockford Punch 2 12" sub and a Rockford amp. 1 sub works out really nice if you are not looking for the "drug dealer" vibe. Also down the road you may want to run another amp for the speakers.

3) The headunit of course did not fit the audi double din. This is where you should just find a reputable shop to do a custom install. Mine pretty much looks like stock. The plate cost me only about an extra 50 dollars, well worth it.

Well hope that helps a little.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:22 AM

how can you soen a grand on an entry level sub and amp? how much did you soend on the head unit?

if you want the clean bass seal the enclosure, this will keep your bass tight instaed of boomy

Old 10-08-2004, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

That's a lot of money to spend, why it's like he bought his speakers from a store! I try to never do that.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:36 AM

seriousy how much did you spend on that head unit?

Quick Reply: Stero...Subs...Head Unit!!! :(