Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Clicking Noise From Rear of Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Strange Clicking Noise From Rear of Car

I have a B5, 1999 A4 2.8L Quattro with Tiptronic. Tonight driving my brother home we both noticed that if I accelerated hard from a stop there was a very noticeable "click click click" noise that happend in rapid succession. You know when you were a kid and you'd put a baseball card in your bike wheels? Same kind of noise, only it's coming from my expensive import German automobile. It was raining heavily tonight here in Portland, it hasn't made this noise before, and it would only do it when I accelerated hard, if I just gently rolled from a stop like I normally do in traffic, there is no noise.

Any ideas?

Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Strange Clicking Noise From Rear of Car

just guessing but I would say a cv joint or boot is bad.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:12 AM
18T
4th Gear

i will guess and say that its a wheel bearing. does it sound like if you take a stick or whatever and hit the spokes of a bike wheel while its turning? you know? clik clik clik clik clik ..

the reason i know this is because my front left wheel has a bad bearing. makes the same sound.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 PM
DVA
1st Gear

my B6 quattro does the same, almost everytime I accelerate from stop. Most of the time after I start the engine, after driving few minutes it doesn`t make that sound even I`m stopping again and accelerating

I`m hearing that sound once or twice ( clank clank and that`s all. I don`t know from where is that sound coming from but I think somewhere from the center of the rear axle.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

It isn't a clank clank it a click click click that happens in really rapid sequence, and it makes the noise of the car is warm or not.

How long can I drive on it with this problem? I ask because I need it through, say, the weekend then I can have it taken to a shop.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Raddue

It isn't a clank clank it a click click click that happens in really rapid sequence, and it makes the noise of the car is warm or not.

How long can I drive on it with this problem? I ask because I need it through, say, the weekend then I can have it taken to a shop.
Have you taken the wheel off from where its coming from just for a look??

Old 12-30-2005, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

No, I haven't. This all started just last night.

And incase someone needs the info: my car just passed 68,000 miles two or three days ago.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

I would have it looked at soon, but i would not worry about driving it this weekend.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

did u hit anywhere or a went through a hard bumb lately? axle......

Old 12-30-2005, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Except for driving quickly through a couple of inch-deep puddles to make a splash, no, I haven't been hitting anything with my car. I baby her.

Quick Reply: Strange Clicking Noise From Rear of Car