Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subs or speakers? any one have JL subs?

Old 06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Subs or speakers? any one have JL subs?

I just got my new head unit put in. Alpine CDA-9855. Still need to find the digital camera for that. but i cant decide what to get next new speakers? probably bostons or kenwood. or a sub? im thinking a JL w6 single 10" or 12" .. Any suggestions?

-Alex

Old 06-20-2005, 02:25 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Subs or speakers? any one have JL subs?

Nice head unit, I have a 7998 myself. Using an alpine MRV-540 speaker amp to push alpine type x speakers -- spx-137r's. For bass i'm using a JL 500/1 amp, and a single 10W7 sub. System sounds stellar, although my deck recently died... getting it looked at under my extended warranty. If the deck goes belly up, I think I get a free 9865, which is the new 55 if im not mistaken... updated display, and DVD capability. 1000 mp3's per DVD, or about 100 REAL EFFIN .WAV's. WOOT.

few links of my system:

http://www.chris.offtone.com/photos/stereo/

Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

ack sry to hear about your deck. Yeh im probably going to get the JL 500-1 Amp for the sub. probably going to use a smaller box though. Not sure what amp im going to use for the speakers. how you like the Alpine speakers?

Sick setup though headshok

EDIT: Kind of confused what to look for in speakers, watts size, ect.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 AM
3rd Gear

well first off if u are going to replace ur stock speakers u wont need an amp, its just a direct replacement, very easy and fast to do. if u want to put in a sub u will need to be doing quite a bit more work and u will be spending quite a bit more money. a sub will give u more of a sound difference than replacing ur speakers. but once u put in a sub u will need new speakers to compensate for all that loud bass. if u r serious about ur system u will be replacing everything so the order really wont matter, will it? personally i would replace ur stock speakers first, one because the sound quality will be good and it wont be drowned out by bass and two, i guess i have grown out of that loud bass noise and am really just in to a good all around sounding stereo system but thats just me. if u decide to go with the sub buy the 12in because this speaker gives a more full range of bass than the 10in which puts out only the more high pitch bass waves (oxymoron i know). plus u will always have the option of crankin that baby up to impress ur gangsta friends or turning it down to hear the real music.

o yea and i always loved mtx subs, very strong, can handle a wide range of wattage and they are reasonably priced.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

^^wow long post... Go jlw6 it's the sickest sub EVER, had one till it got stolen. just make sure you're pushing at least 800 watts to it, 350 MINIMUM rms or else it wont sound good (power hungry).
Best tip ever: Fiberglass the sub into your spare tire space in your trunk and put a grill on it, then cut the carpet around it, making up flush with the rear deck. = full trunk capacity and loud a$$ bass.

Replace the stock mids and tweets with nothing less than MB Quarts or Focal. anything else is a waste of money over bose.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Replace the stock mids and tweets with nothing less than MB Quarts or Focal. anything else is a waste of money over bose.
Wow, you must be a dealer for those 2 brands. BTW,that's not true, there's quite a few brands out there that are less expensive that will work just fine.. Diamond Audio, CDT, JL Audio XR series, Boston Acoustics (just got bought by the company that owns McIntosh and Denon), Polk Audio, etc..

Also, I have a quick question for you:

Best tip ever: Fiberglass the sub into your spare tire space in your trunk and put a grill on it, then cut the carpet around it, making up flush with the rear deck. = full trunk capacity and loud a$$ bass.
I have this hump in the middle of my spare tire well, that will not really allow for a decent size sub, is there something I'm missing here? Or is it just in the B5s?

Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
5th Gear

Yeah that whole focal mb quartz thing is defiantely a biased opinion... although he's right in a way... the bose speakers are VERY good, they just need more power -- so upgrading the factory amp would be a great idea, IF you have the bose system already.

Focal's are really bloody nice, but I have alpine's new type X speakers, and they are a definate improvement over stock... they are competing with the JL XR series, but have a much more sophisticated crossover than the JL. But yes, JL's new ZR series speakers will keep up with focal.

The guy who suggested only upgrading speakers, as a first step... is wrong -- if you've got bose. If you have bose, you can add a sub, and they will keep up... your next step should be getting a good speaker amp, like a jl 300/4. I may be selling my alpine MRV-540 soon, its 80x4 RMS. I'm after a JL 450/4, so I can get 150 watts RMS to my front stage speakers, and maintain the 75 watts rear.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

I swapped out the front 4" for some Diamond Audio M3 mid and it's great needs some power since the blose system is 2ohm impedance.. There's a how to on using a different speaker as sub to replace the boomy ones on the rear deck..

If the Quattro A3 doesn't come w/ the 2.0T engine, I'm going to be building my A4.. so I'll start up a how to (SQ Competition System) in a A4..

Old 06-20-2005, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

I got the JL w3v2, with the 250/1, and it hits harddd. More than enough power and bass. Stock headunit too.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Administrator

I have JL and holy crap.... its a 10" and it hits amazingly hard... I will look up the model number for you when i get home.. well worth it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subs or speakers? any one have JL subs?