Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension install difficulty????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear
Default suspension install difficulty????

i just did my front control arms and i had to remove the shocks and struts in the front. does this mean that i have the knowhow to install a suspension kit? on a scale from 1-10 with front upper control arms being a 5 what would you rate the difficulty of this job/??

Old 10-01-2005, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: suspension install difficulty????

i'd say you are half way there. from what ive read the fun part starts when you get out the spring compressors. most shops would probably have a wall mounted, air operated spring compressor compared to the cheap ones where you have to compress it by turning the bolts by hand small increments at a time. even seen pics of really cheap ones where they rods are bending as the spring was being compressed.... boing boing

Old 10-01-2005, 05:10 PM
5th Gear

Spring compressors are easy as pie...

if you did the uppers, you can do suspension.

Getting the pinch bolt out of the knuckle that holds the uppers was like a 9.5 out of 10 for me... one had to get drilled out.

The rears take like 40 minutes a side (or they did for my coilovers).

The fronts took like an hour and a half a side maybe? Well, they took like 6 hours in reality, with the drilling and all the other BS cause of those devil bolts.

Old 10-01-2005, 05:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Getting the pinch bolt out of the knuckle that holds the uppers was like a 9.5 out of 10 for me... one had to get drilled out.
I may have to do that to mine. That bitch looks like a Crazy Straw on my driver's side. PB Blaster seems powerless against its twisted brand of evil.

Oh, if you got the upper front control arms out of the steering knuckle is the hardest part. The rest is pie.

Old 10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
3rd Gear

i guess i just got lucky because the bolt slid rignt out no prob. after sliiding it out it was absolutley covered with rust. i pb blasted and let it sit for a few hours and then turned the bolt a bit and then re blasted it. and did this again, and again..................

Old 10-01-2005, 06:22 PM
5th Gear

I just replaced the bolts... generic 10x100 with 25 mm of threads, 75mm shoulder. Greased the **** out of them, too.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:33 AM
3rd Gear

yea i replaced mine too, ecs tuning is nice and included all new hardware with my kit. i swear ive been buying a lot of stuff off the internet latley for my car and BY FAR ecs tuning is the best hands down!!

Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 AM
3rd Gear

I am so angry about that bolt right now I think I am going to AHAAAAAAAAAAAG yE zdasgasfasasgdghaosgosabgoganjlfasdas ysfahiogasdhioahioasghioasghioasghgasdyasfasdhjzxc xcvuozyi

That little ****. My neighbors are going to exchange fearful looks tomorrow when I finally drill that little ***** and laugh maniacally while I take out my rage on it.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:10 AM
4th Gear

YOUR getting owned by a bolt, I'm sorry if I find that to be the amusement of my night. HAHAHA

On the other hand, I have been known to brake **** when thing don't go my way. good luck.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:12 AM
3rd Gear

I will kill you.

Quick Reply: suspension install difficulty????