Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Pipe = Power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Test Pipe = Power?

Magnaflow sells High-Flow Catalytic Converters for $76, I was thinking about having one installed further down the exhaust system, so it's not as restrictive, but I'll still have a Cat. I would just have to extend the Secondary Oxygen Sensor wires (Only four), and that would be that.

activemonkey, there are two. One reads the Air Fuel Ratio Pre-Cat, and the Secondary reads the Air Fuel Ratio Post-Cat. The Secondary is there to make sure that the Catalytic Converter is functioning properly. So when you put on a Test Pipe, it's now reading the same resistance as the Primary, so the ECU reads that as a bad Cat, thus it throws the code. However, tricking the Secondary into reading proper Air Fuel Ratio isn't hard at all, and it costs $5 to do. Icon Racing's design has it already incorperated though, so there's no modification needed.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

But where might i buy Icon Racing's test pipe, if i can get it by next week then good game, other wise i might just have to get thise one and wait for their to come out.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: InsaneHatter

The test pipe will take away you cat, obviously.

This reduces backpressure allowing the turbo spool quicker.
This can also increase HP/tq.. i dont know about the numbers they gave but it can increase them

To get rid of the CEL you need about 5$ and a good drill.

Go to autozone and buy some Spark Plug Non-Foulers (18mm thread I belive). Drill ONE of them out so its hollow, but dont mess with the threads...

Screw them together so the hollow one is on top. Remove your secondary O2 sensor and put these foulers in its place. Then screw the o2 sensor into the foulers.

BOOM no CEL
Does anyone know of a DIY editorial that I could print out on this?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Better yet, $30 will go to someone who can build one, and install it. I can drive anywhere within NorCal (ie within 3 hours of SF)

Old 01-27-2006, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear

It's not hard my man... Set a day aside, get a buddy to help, and just get a little dirty and figure it out.

Icon Racing's Test Pipe won't be out for another few months, but I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:27 AM
2nd Gear

As far as the claims go....I believe with the bt setup, you will easily notice 25whp or more if you already have 3" mandrel bent exhaust and some sort of intake running a good amount of boost. I cant wait to get mine.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:15 AM
1st Gear

im sorry but can someone explain to me what a CEL is?

Old 01-28-2006, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear

Check Engine Light = CEL

Old 01-28-2006, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

What other mods do you have? A test pipe on a stock A4 is stupid. Actually a test pipe on anything except a track monster is stupid, IMO. Sorry but true. You'll have to swap back on the cat to pass emissions. (Yes I'm in a bad mood).

Old 01-28-2006, 02:14 PM
3rd Gear

But if you dont have smog it sounds like a good mod! I will say that it would be better to have a few mods, a test pipe on a stock A4 might kinda suck. I know a 3' downpipe on a stock eclipse would give you wicked boost creep!!! IMO not the best first mod more for the guys with lots of other junk....

Quick Reply: Test Pipe = Power?