Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear
Default test pipe question

how hard and how much time does it take to install/ remove a test pipe on 2001.5? I live in cali so i have emission but if it is not to hard I would like ot get one to run when it is not being tested.

How does this one look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-B...spagenameZWDVW

Old 06-01-2007, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: test pipe question

plan on an all day thing and get someone to help you i live in colorado and i have emissons too but i am in the progress of doing a trick i did on my honda i just haven't got the ok that it will work my plan is to get a normal cat and have it mounted under the car in the down pipe so then i can get emissions then after i would take out the cat and install a stright pipe to fill the gap of where the cat was it worked get on my honda but an audi is a different breast with different needs

Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

not to mention in california it is illegal to move the cat with out have a state ref/ smog shoo declare your stock cat is dead. Cali is a great place to live for the surfer inside me but man it suck being a car enthusiast. Well I guess I can't have my cake and eat it to

Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear

there is a write up how to install the test pipe on audi world i don't know if colorado has the same law but i think i would be doing the people that work at the emissions place a favor since they can't seem to ever find the cat when it is in it's stock location so they look at it for a few mins then they go get someone else then in about 5 mins i got 4-5 knuckle heads looking all under my car trying to find it with there little mirrorthen they come and tell me that it does have one and im like yea it does then they what to arruge with me about so i tell them watch me ill point it out to you and when i open the hood they look at me funny then i point it out and ask them is that what you guys have been looking for? so if i placed it under the car they might be able to find it

Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kraylon

there is a write up how to install the test pipe on audi world i don't know if colorado has the same law but i think i would be doing the people that work at the emissions place a favor since they can't seem to ever find the cat when it is in it's stock location so they look at it for a few mins then they go get someone else then in about 5 mins i got 4-5 knuckle heads looking all under my car trying to find it with there little mirrorthen they come and tell me that it does have one and im like yea it does then they what to arruge with me about so i tell them watch me ill point it out to you and when i open the hood they look at me funny then i point it out and ask them is that what you guys have been looking for? so if i placed it under the car they might be able to find it
hahaha that had to have been funny

Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm make believe

Kraylon,seriously dude, two post and not one single form of punctuation. Do you not have a period or comma button on your keyboard?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 PM

Hey kraylon, check your local codes. In january a bunch of countys dropped emmisions testing, like larimer county, good for me.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: sdboarder84

how hard and how much time does it take to install/ remove a test pipe on 2001.5? I live in cali so i have emission but if it is not to hard I would like ot get one to run when it is not being tested.
Its not easy, especially if you dont have a lift or the right tools. It certainly can be done, I would guess a few hours or so if you dont run in to to many dificulties, and have the tools to get the job done.
The bolts on the downpipe are going to be the hardest part to get to each time you need to swap it. And on jackstands, its a little harder than a lift.The turbo bolts probably wouldn't be called the easiest boltsto get to either.
Go for a high flow cat, that will look stock, and pass emissions, and give a better flow.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 AM
3rd Gear

imo, it's pita. I let my mechanic do it and charge me like $30-$40 for it.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

that price wont happen any where in cali. cheapest labor rate I have seen is 65/hr

Quick Reply: test pipe question