Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 02:43 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible

I havnt needed an oil change since I bought the car, and the only info I could find on the maintenance records was that it was last filled with mobile 1, but I don't know the viscocity. But, if it is the lifter, the ticking would increase in speed and get louder as the rpm's rise? Also, is this bad for the engine, should I change the oil, what viscosity? Thanks for your help.
Jordan

Old 02-25-2005, 02:50 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible

my car was doing that same thing and I checked the oil and it was barely nothing in it so I changed the oil and it never did it again so please check your oil asap before you damage the engine

Old 02-25-2005, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear

Is the ticking sound coming from the intake side, like right near the intake? Does it always make the sound or just sometimes?

Old 02-25-2005, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

The oil level is full, just checked it, but I don't know the viscosity. The sound is coming from the opposite side of the air intake. And it always does it, at least for the past couple days from when I first noticed it. Does that sound like lifter stuff or something else?

Old 02-25-2005, 03:09 AM
4th Gear

It does just sound like lifter ticking. Just change your oil, that will more than likely fix the problem. If not, then move onto another idea. It's how you fix a car, trial and error.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

change the oil and filter, mine did the same thing but after I changed the oil it stopped and drove better

Old 02-25-2005, 03:14 AM
1st Gear

Any recommendation for oil and filter?

Old 02-25-2005, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

I used full synthetic 10w 30, but I don't know if that was the correct gradel to use but I know your supposed synthetic oil

Old 02-25-2005, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

If it's had semi in it which is what audi put in i wouldn't switch to fully synth, you get more problems with blocked pipes as the fully synth cleans the inside of the engine. I'd run a 10-40w semi synth.

Is the tapping more of a chatter? does it do it at start up? and does it get worse after a long run when the engine is very hot?

Old 02-25-2005, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Ah just listened to your clip, sounds like chain chatter, tensioner leak. See my post here https://www.audiforums.com/m_42314/tm.htm

Quick Reply: ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible