AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/ticking-sound-engine-bay-please-tell-me-isnt-necessarily-horrible-6325/)

jblum 02-25-2005 05:33 PM

RE: ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible

How much is that going to run me if I take it to a mechanic vs doing it myself (can I even do this myself?)

Jestnomen 02-25-2005 05:46 PM

RE: ticking sound in the engine bay- please tell me this isn't necessarily horrible

I don't know if you have a problem. I listened to it and it sounds like a normally ticking Audi engine, but the clip was kind of quiet. Take it to an audi mechanic and see if they suggest anything.

jblum 02-25-2005 05:52 PM

Alright, I plan to do that on mon, I'm just scared to hell of what he's going to say.

brrman 02-25-2005 06:21 PM

Sounds like lifter noise to me - albeit fairly loud lifter noise. Possibly cam chain rattle, but thats a rare problem in our cars - and it would not be a constant rattle, it seems to rise and fall in volume as you idle, whereas lifter noise is constant.

If it's had semi in it which is what audi put in i wouldn't switch to fully synth, you get more problems with blocked pipes as the fully synth cleans the inside of the engine. I'd run a 10-40w semi synth.
This is false, at least in the way you describe it Paul. If anything the pipes become unblocked and the filter catches anything large. You will not cause problems switching to synth - HOWEVER - you may uncover leaks that you have but were simply plugged with dino sludge.

jblum - Audi's are notorious for lifter ticking. Sometimes you will never get it to go away. My last A4 was like that. A bottle of Justice Bros helped, but never got rid of it completely.

jblum 02-25-2005 07:33 PM

I don't mind the sound in the least bit; I can barely here it inside the car. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a sign of engine troubles.

K69camaroz28@aol.com 02-25-2005 08:45 PM

Nope i'd say your good mine does the same thing but less noisy. Meh the clip probally dosn't do complete justice, but if you have a 1.8t thats 5 valves/cylinder damn a little chatter is good for all that working!

jblum 02-25-2005 09:53 PM

Agreed!

aaronamericahall 02-25-2005 10:43 PM

have you changed the oil yet?, you can go to the dealership it cost 65 bucks (very expensive but its worth it if your still under the motor warranty and especially if you don't know how to change your oil because they will have it own their record that the oil was changed with the correct oil if your motor ever goes, but if you do it yourself keep the reciept of the oil for your warranty at least thats what they told me

jblum 02-26-2005 12:09 AM

I havn't changed it yet, but I'm going to do it instead of taking it in. I was wondering if anybody knows where i can get the Mann filter other than the internet or the dealership.

PaulA4 02-26-2005 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: brrman

Sounds like lifter noise to me - albeit fairly loud lifter noise. Possibly cam chain rattle, but thats a rare problem in our cars - and it would not be a constant rattle, it seems to rise and fall in volume as you idle, whereas lifter noise is constant.

If it's had semi in it which is what audi put in i wouldn't switch to fully synth, you get more problems with blocked pipes as the fully synth cleans the inside of the engine. I'd run a 10-40w semi synth.
This is false, at least in the way you describe it Paul. If anything the pipes become unblocked and the filter catches anything large. You will not cause problems switching to synth - HOWEVER - you may uncover leaks that you have but were simply plugged with dino sludge.

jblum - Audi's are notorious for lifter ticking. Sometimes you will never get it to go away. My last A4 was like that. A bottle of Justice Bros helped, but never got rid of it completely.

I'm not just saying it like i know better mate, i know that in many engines it's ok.

I was talking to a friend of mine on wednesday who's been an Audi technician for 14 years and his opinion was that switching oils in the 20v engine was not a good idea. He has seen many engines where pieces of carbon have been lifted and blocked the oil return pipe from the turbo for example causing a nice bit of premature wear. I have seen it in other older ford engines to, but like you say it can be fine and the filter should catch anything the swap does lift.