Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie rod ends bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear
Default tie rod ends bad?

Just starting today when I am at stop and I turn my steering wheel each way it squeaks like hell from the front end near the tie rod ends. Even when I go over bumps I can hear it squeaking at slower speeds with the windows down. I noticed my tie rods were getting worn when I had my car up on the lift a few months ago. Also i just had a front suspension kit put on at 114K miles now I'm at 136K. Any ideas?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: tie rod ends bad?

I don't know if bad TREs would necessarily cause squeaking. I know that on my car there was a popping / cracklingnoise everytime I stopped, accelerated from a dead stop, and turned at lower speeds. This was all at 65k miles, though. Had the TREs replaced, and for a while, it still made the noise - just not to the extent that it did before. Eventually it didn't do it at all, but it took a little while.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
5th Gear

usually sqeauking is the control arms. try injecting some bearing grease in the boot. don't put to much or the boot will sort of exploded. i had to learn that the hard way

Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 AM
2nd Gear

Hmm well if the control arms are already bad shouldn't they have some sort of warranty on them? They are only 20K miles old. I had the whole front suspension kit replaced at 114K miles.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
3rd Gear

are they bad at the ball joints (outter ends) or the bushings (inner ends)? if the control arms are not at the right angle - ride heightposition - and the bolts that go through the bushings are torqued down, then it will cause a pre-load on the suspension/bushing, causing premature wearing of the bushings.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

thats possible ^. Now it starting to get even worse, when I'm going over bumps at slow speeds I hear some rattling like bolts are coming loose and it still sqeaks on top of that.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

My car has been doing this lately too, I'm about to bring the car to my mechanic in a few hours.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 PM

mine squeeks in the back... very annoying... i am starting to hate my car, every day for like the past few months something has been goin wrong...and its soo expensive to fix...extremely annoying[:@]

Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

well I brought the car over to my mechanic where I had the front suspension kit put on, the 2 front lower ball joints are bad, 2 bad tie rods, and a torn CV boot. The ball joints are being covered under warrenty since its been less than a year.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

So they do have to replace the lower control armsw/ ball joints then? Make sure that they have the control arms positioned at ride height when they torque up the bolts that go through those bushings.... and have them check the uppers too. Improper install can wear out the bushings, but I don't think it would affect the ball joints. Where did you get the control arm set from? That seemes like bad quality. Axle boot kits cost $20 per side (plus labor if they are doing it).

Quick Reply: tie rod ends bad?