Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing and Cylinder Head question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing and Cylinder Head question

When I bought this 98 1.8TQ couple of weeks ago, I was told by owner, that dealership diagnosed the car with broken timing belt, and the head is in need of replacement…

I just pulled the timing belt cover off, and the belt is in one piece??? It does have a little residue on it, but still, all in one piece… Do TB jump on these cars? Thoughts? Lady (prior owner) stated she was merging from the off-ramp from the highway, and the car just died on her…

Thoughts (before I go tearing down the car)?

Thanks!
D

P.S. Spent last few days reading through the posts and ads, thank you for the wealth of info!

Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Timing diagnostic question…

Simply run a compression test.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Duhhh =) I guess I just need to borrow some tools.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I’m new to these engines… In case that the head is in need of the work, is it true that Passat head and 1.8T are the same (as long as AEB engine code)? Reason for asking, I got a quote on complete rebuilt head, $600 with 1year/12k miles?

Thanks!
D

Old 08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: duhvinci

Sorry for the dumb question, but I’m new to these engines… In case that the head is in need of the work, is it true that Passat head and 1.8T are the same (as long as AEB engine code)? Reason for asking, I got a quote on complete rebuilt head, $600 with 1year/12k miles?

Thanks!
D
Bump I know the valves and gaskets are the same (looked up the parts and compared the numbers) but the head bolts appear different...

Thanks,
D

Old 08-26-2005, 11:33 PM
5th Gear

well if the engine code is the same, then it'll be the same... passats and a4's should have identical motors.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

well if the engine code is the same, then it'll be the same... passats and a4's should have identical motors.
Looks like that is the case indeed (just in case if anyone else would run into the same issue in the future):

"...The AEB bare cylinder head is 058 103 351 E and the exchange unit is 058 103 265 BX...

Arthur LeBrun
Bentley Publishers "

This post related to 1.8T passat with the same issue. And by looking at the very extensive parts list prior owner of my A4 got from the dealership, 058 103 265 BX is the head would have been installed at the total cost of $4800[:@]

Thanks,
D

Old 08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

The "X" on the end means that it is a factory reman unit. Quite good, but they are only $1700 from www.worldimpex.com or www.1stvwparts.com. (Impex is east coast and 1stVWParts is west coast.) There ain't $3000 labor in changing a head. The reman parts usually come with all the gaskets. You will need head bolts and maybe an intake gasket, but it should come with a head and exhaust gasket.

$600 for a rebuilt head is good, but it won't be factory remanufactured for that price.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

True, not factory, but they guarantee using all oem parts and comes with warranty, so will see... As for the total quote from the dealer, head was $2010 alone, plus many other pieces. We have completed a long list of parts, figuring while everything is apart, and 100k miles on the car, so additional parts (aside from the head) I will be ordering tomorrow:

T-Belt Tensioner Damper
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt Roller
Timing Belt
Multi Rib Belt
Multi Rib Belt
V- Belt
Thermostat 87°C + seal ring
Water Pump
Dipstick Funnel
Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Set
Turbo Exhaust Gasket
T-Belt Tensioner Bolts
Thermostat O-Ring
Cylinder Head Bolt
Oil Pan Gasket
Fuel Injector Seal Bosch
Front Cam, Crank & Intermediate shaft seal
Alternator belt tensioner & roller assembly
OE A/C Compressor tensioner/roller assembly
Cooling Flange (Located rear of cylinder head, AEB)
Cooling Flange (Sealer o-ring)
Coolant Sensor Retaining Clip
Turbo Oil Line Gasket-Lower
Turbo Oil Line Gasket-Uppe
OEM Turbo Mounting Bolt-Priced Each
OEM Turbocharger Stud-Priced Each
Cylinder Head Gasket Set
Throttle Body Gasket
Cam Chain Tensioner Assembly
Air Filter KN
Dipstick tube Extension
NGK Spark Plugs (#BKR7E copper)
Mahle & Mann brand - Larger oil filter
Pentosin G12
Mobil1 oil
Lucas oil additive

Am I forgeting anything? Want to get the car running in top condition first, then mods

Old 08-28-2005, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear

Did you get the car free?

I'd skip the K&N and the Lucas stuff. Stick with the paper filter and do not use additives in your oil.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

I wish she was free I bought here from co-worker, little over $2k… It’s a really clean car in excellent overall condition, so far with all the calculations on parts and the head I’m right around $1300 give or take, and a friend with extensive experience (owns 1.8T avant) would do most of the work… I know some of the parts are overkill, but I really want to bring her to a full running condition with no need to return to some old parts just few months later.

So no love for k&n? Not sure if it really does anything, I guess its just a habit for me, had it in every car…

D

Quick Reply: Timing and Cylinder Head question