Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip trans 1.8t - Chip and exhaust worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Tip trans 1.8t - Chip and exhaust worth it???

I have a 02 A4 Avant w/ tip auto transmission. I want to add a little performance .... chip, d valve, and exhaust. Would I be an idiot to throw down 1500+ bones on this upgrade? Will the extra HP (30 I hope) trash my trans? I like to shift on the wheel myself, but it is still an automatic.

My local Euro tuning shop wants me to buy REVO software ...... Is there software out there specifically for 1.8t automatic trans? I don't see many people talking about REVO on this forum, which makes me hesitate to buy it ..... Any thoughts there.

I also want to get an exhaulst system that is reletivly quiet yet adds performance. I was looking at a Magnaflow system, but does anyone have a better idea?

I don't think I want to sell my ride just yet to trade up for a manual a4 1.8t .... I got an awesome deal a year ago ...... 20,000 miles on it for 18,000 bucks. If I want a new used a4 manual in the same shape as mine now ... I will have a much higher car payment.

Anycrap, thanks for lookin'

Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Tip trans 1.8t - Chip and exhaust worth it???

Try a search,

but in short, yes.

Those upgrades will make you very happy, and are worth the $$$.

Your tranny should handle it fine. Most chips here are giac or apr. more info here: https://www.audiforums.com/m_307364/tm.htm

I guess there is also a "tip chip" for your tranny as well. Don't know if its worth it, try a search on it.

borla, magna flow, milltek, all are fairly common.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Site Moderator

you should expect an extra 50-60 hp with a chip and exhaust, which wont kill your tip tranny. Its when you go over 250hp/tq where the tip will get hurt. mostly due to the higher tq. You can get a level10 tranny valve body upgrade ($800 for the part) that can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. i dont know a whole lot about revo other than the giac dealer where i got chipped stoped being a revo dealer because of tuning problems, thats all he said about it. i have read that revo is pretty good for the b6 though.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

50-60 HP!!!!! NICE!!! Thanks for the info .... The guy at my shop said the chip and exhaust would make it a "different car" .... got that right! I gotta look up that "tip chip"

Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
4th Gear

I have a tip chip. The shifting is much crisper, but it doesn't seem to shift down at the same points as the original chip.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

David9999: Is your tip chip GIAC? That is the only one I could find ..... If so ..... Is it OK to Mix and match chip and tip chip software (Like APR chip and GIAC tip chip)?

And ... Are you happy with your tip chip? Is it anything similar to driving the stock tip in the "S" position?

Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

Just a chip, exhaust and other smaller mods wont kill your Automatic tranny. I myself and running a K04 turbo on my Auto and havent had an issue yet.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:42 AM
4th Gear

GIAC makes the tip chip. It is OK to mix and match. I have an APR 93 program. What pushed me over the edge to get the tip chip was that my Transmission control unit chip was going bad, and the tip chip over-rode the problem. It was cheaper to upgrade than get a new TCU.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: david9999

my Transmission control unit chip was going bad, and the tip chip over-rode the problem. It was cheaper to upgrade than get a new TCU.
Good info right there. Can you explain how exactly the tip chip over rode the problem or what the problem was to begin with? Or PM me cuz its off topic i guess.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: david9999

my Transmission control unit chip was going bad, and the tip chip over-rode the problem. It was cheaper to upgrade than get a new TCU.
Good info right there. Can you explain how exactly the tip chip over rode the problem or what the problem was to begin with? Or PM me cuz its off topic i guess.
Im also interested in this myself, any information would be cool.

Quick Reply: Tip trans 1.8t - Chip and exhaust worth it???