Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic malfunction

Hello all,

Well, I finally got my 03 A4 1.8T Quttro. Although the vibration problem is still there when I'm idling, I enjoy driving the vehicle and the way it handles. Just this morning I went through some winding roads in the country side of the Napa Valley, and man this car was great. Only thing that worries me is just for this 2days I've had the car the Tiptronic won't work! The car shifts fine when on normal "D". Tiptronic seems to work when I'm on "D" then I pop it into tiptronic. But when I'm at a stop, on tiptronic, the gear won't shift from 1st to 2nd?!? What's going on? Anyone have any idea?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Tiptronic malfunction

Check the fault codes, i bet the shifter sensor is worn out. (Its just a magnet thatbrushes against a sensor)

Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: jonsaudi
But when I'm at a stop, on tiptronic, the gear won't shift from 1st to 2nd?!? What's going on? Anyone have any idea?
You cant switch from 1st to 2nd in tip mode while you are stopped. After you pass 10 mph or so is when you can shift. Why would you want to start out in 2nd anyway?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Site Moderator

^^^ Im hoping he meant leaving from a stop it won't shift from first to second.... Well thats what im hoping, if not i seem like an idiot not reading the post correctly[&o]

Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Site Moderator

Ya I hope so too.. A magnet probably fell out, it happens, and will cause what you describe.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

did you try using the paddles? if the paddles shift fine, but the shifter doesnt, youve got a malfunctioning shifter. if the paddles dont work as well, then youve got something more serious. Also, what do you mean by "tiptronic seems to work when im on D"?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Site Moderator

I dont think he has the paddles, some B6's didnt come with them

Old 06-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: jojoampt

did you try using the paddles? if the paddles shift fine, but the shifter doesnt, youve got a malfunctioning shifter. if the paddles dont work as well, then youve got something more serious. Also, what do you mean by "tiptronic seems to work when im on D"?
It doesn't matter if he has paddles or not, if the shifter sensor malfunctions the TCM will dis-able the tiptronic mode and neither will work.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

huh, i dont know. my b6 has a problem shifting with the shifter, but it works like a dream with the paddles. what do you think is up with that?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: jojoampt

huh, i dont know. my b6 has a problem shifting with the shifter, but it works like a dream with the paddles. what do you think is up with that?
Bad contacts in the shifter assembly, it won't cause a complete failure just enough to mess with you.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic malfunction