Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission/Tiptronic FAIL-SAFE or BACKUP MODES

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Transmission/Tiptronic FAIL-SAFE or BACKUP MODES

u can get tip boxes wet in other ways its under the carpet but just cuz carpet is dry doesn't mean the box itself is dry. u can flood it from underneath if the water got high enuff

Old 07-02-2006, 05:39 AM
2nd Gear

02 shoudl still be under warranty ... unless u bought it early

Old 07-02-2006, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ejc317

02 shoudl still be under warranty ... unless u bought it early
I bought it used 7 months ago, but the warranty expired on 11/10/2005 just before I bought it.

I pulled up the carpet and the box is dry... and why wouldn't it be? I never drove it through more than an inch of water!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: soinclined

HELP..
I was checking my fuse(s) for a blown tail light when my brother decided to then pull all fuses and reinsert them because a couple where upside down. The end result is a transmission in either fail-safe or backup mode. I own a 1999 A4 2.8 Quattro Sedan with Tiptronic transmission. How do I get this fixed? Does it require a visit to the dealer? The syptoms are the display on the dash, and the Tiptronic won't work. The owner's manual described this as an electronic failure resulting in the fail-safe or backup mode.
Thanks
Mine went after checking fuses too! How did you get yours out of fail-safe mode??

Old 07-02-2006, 08:28 PM
4th Gear

Check wires from terminal 29 and terminal 41 of test box to transmission control module for open or short circuit per wiring diagram.

Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Troubleshooting & Component Locations binder

If wiring is OK:

- Replace Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM) as necessary and in sequence.

Check the connections at the TCU and ECU.

I seem to remember there there may be some need to do an adaptation between TCU and ECU if the fuse is pulled, but that will take me some time to search.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

Check wires from terminal 29 and terminal 41 of test box to transmission control module for open or short circuit per wiring diagram.

Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Troubleshooting & Component Locations binder

If wiring is OK:

- Replace Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM) as necessary and in sequence.

Check the connections at the TCU and ECU.

I seem to remember there there may be some need to do an adaptation between TCU and ECU if the fuse is pulled, but that will take me some time to search.
Wow this seems like great advice and has a >50% chance of fixing the problem! However, I have a few questions that may sound dumb:

-Where's the test box? What is this wiring diagram? Is it in my owner's manual?
-Where's the ECU?

I think the adaptation you speak of (between the ECU and TCU) is what needs to be done; however could the problem not be related to the fuse (just a coincidence they happened at the same time), but maybe indeed loose wire? When the problem first started it would fix itself for a second (the PRNDS lights would come back on for a split second) when I would slam on the gas as if to accelerate quickly. Now nothing makes the PRNDS come back on and the car shift correctly

Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 PM
4th Gear

The first thing I would try is the ECU connector. Check at the ECU in the black box in the engine compartment in front of the driver.

check to make sure that the connections are tight. The tCM is under the pass side carpet. Also check to make sure that it's connections are tight.

If you have a vacom, check the TCM soft codes to make sure it is coded correctly.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

Vag-com cannot communicate with the TCM... the TCM errors come from the ECU

Old 07-04-2006, 01:32 AM
2nd Gear

when ur vagging is ur car started or just in on possition

Old 07-05-2006, 05:06 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ejc317

when ur vagging is ur car started or just in on possition
i wasn't sure, but i just tried both and still NO COMMUNICATION! ...i broke down and made an appointment at the dealer for August 1st; hopefully i can fix it myself before then!!!

Quick Reply: Transmission/Tiptronic FAIL-SAFE or BACKUP MODES