Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble shooting question on my audi

Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 AM
1st Gear
Default trouble shooting question on my audi

dont know if its a problem yet... but its just been buggin me. it seems like my car isn't holding after like 4500 rpms. the gauge spikes at around 21lbs and by the time i am into it and up around 4500 it teeters down to about 10lbs. i have the apr 93oct. ship in it. full exhaust etc. i am runnin my forge dv, and its brand new so i dont know whats going on. any suggestions? also. when backing out of the throttle real fast the car has like a jolt feeling. it happens just when backing out of the throttle real quick after peaking out of the power band. which right now is ending around 4000. if that. does anyone have any suggestions about what could be going on? ever run into this? i didn't want to bust my head open trying to locate the problem. so i figured i would try here first. the car is a 2000 a4 1.8t quattro. 5 speed. spec stage 3 clutch. and alum flywheel. stock turbo. dont know maybe it is something in my turbo? dont know much about that yet. and also i used to run a mbc. but then i went back to the n75 because i was scared of the car not being tuned right. when i had the mbc on it held boost a lot better. (maybe that info will help) i just put denso iridium ik 22 plugs in it again. and 4 new coils. there are no codes except for the one cat check no activity.... because there is none. still running stock side mount. and anything anyone might know just hit me up.

thank you for your help. if any is provided

bobby

Old 03-17-2006, 02:31 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: trouble shooting question on my audi

I think that the 93 pulls 1.1 bar, so you have quite a spike. The k03 isn't a huge turbo, and wont be able to hold that to redline. That said, I think 10 is a bit low at 4500 rpm, but I haven'd done any logging on my car.

I also have the 2000 1.8t with the APR 93 chip. Maybe I'll go out this weekend and do some logging with my vagcom.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:12 AM
1st Gear

that would be great if you could do some logging. maybe give me something to reference mine to. another problem happened tonight when i was coming home. my speed all of a suddent stopped working.... anyone know why or run into this problem it just dropped to zero... no clue as to what happens. the car is making like a jolt in between gears. almost like a fuel cut....(if you know what i mean) i hate that. i dont know if its normal or what it is.

help me...

i was gonna try to sell the car. but then again i want to keep it. and none of this started to happen till i decided i wanted to cell it. now its mad at me i quess.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:24 AM
2nd Gear

the turbo that came factory for these cars wasnt meant for high boost. when your engine builds rpms the turbo spins higher and cant hold that rpm at a higher pressure. If your on the stock turbo then Id say your situation is very normal.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

i know the turbo isn't big. but there is no reason why it shouldn't be holding atleast 15lbs. it just seems a lot weaker now.

also. has anyone ever run into the speedometer problem. it just stopped working................

Old 03-19-2006, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audiguy00

i know the turbo isn't big. but there is no reason why it shouldn't be holding atleast 15lbs. it just seems a lot weaker now.

also. has anyone ever run into the speedometer problem. it just stopped working................

no nothing syas a turbo should hold any amount of boost. the stock turbo at high rpms is way out of its efficiency range. If you were to hold that psi or higher at that rpm it would only be hot air you you wouldnt have any extra power...probly less as you will be pulling timing. When the boost lowers its completly normal, now get a bigger or more efficient snail and youll hold that boost for much longer and stay efficient too thats where youll see the power.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: audiguy00

dont know if its a problem yet... but its just been buggin me. it seems like my car isn't holding after like 4500 rpms. the gauge spikes at around 21lbs and by the time i am into it and up around 4500 it teeters down to about 10lbs. i have the apr 93oct. ship in it. full exhaust etc. i am runnin my forge dv, and its brand new so i dont know whats going on. any suggestions? also. when backing out of the throttle real fast the car has like a jolt feeling. it happens just when backing out of the throttle real quick after peaking out of the power band. which right now is ending around 4000. if that. does anyone have any suggestions about what could be going on? ever run into this? i didn't want to bust my head open trying to locate the problem. so i figured i would try here first. the car is a 2000 a4 1.8t quattro. 5 speed. spec stage 3 clutch. and alum flywheel. stock turbo. dont know maybe it is something in my turbo? dont know much about that yet. and also i used to run a mbc. but then i went back to the n75 because i was scared of the car not being tuned right. when i had the mbc on it held boost a lot better. (maybe that info will help) i just put denso iridium ik 22 plugs in it again. and 4 new coils. there are no codes except for the one cat check no activity.... because there is none. still running stock side mount. and anything anyone might know just hit me up.

thank you for your help. if any is provided

bobby
Yo, you are going into closed loop mode because of too much boost. I had the exact same symptoms about at the peak of the power band and you feel a cut off/jolt.... Then, 10psi max boost. Your boosting too much. Are you saying that this happened with both the mbc and n75?? I dont know if it just took my car a while to adapt to the n75race but now it doesnt seem to do it anymore, but before even when id spike to 20-21 psi close to redline it would seemed to hang there for a delayed amount of time and then bam down to 10psi.. When you are WOT at those speeds, losing timing, fuel, boost, etc, your gunna feel that jolt..I think thats what closed loop is. Have you tried turning down the boost on the mbc a little?

Old 03-20-2006, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

Well. I'd like to report some logging, but my turbo totally cut out yesterday.

The car was a total slug. Finally got home and checked for codes. Found one for an overboost incident that I'm sure shut down the turbo. Once cleared the car seems back to normal, but the day was shot. Willl have to try some logging next weekend.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

the fuel cut and **** is exactly what is going on. i'm gonna put the manual boost controller back on... is that safe? also... anyone have any answers for me on the speedo problem. that is annoying. now my gas gauge goes up when i get on the gas and down when i slow down. like literally goes up to full on accell and down to e when slowing down.

hit back please.

bobby

Old 03-20-2006, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

also i am thinking about running a k04. can i use my apr 93 chip for that?

bobby

i will need a fpr though right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trouble shooting question on my audi