Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unitronic Custom Tune

Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 PM
dan
2nd Gear
Default Unitronic Custom Tune

So I took a ride up to montreal (from Philly) on Friday and had a custom tune done from the boys at unitronic. Both Mike Z and Mike S are awesome guys to deal with.

So I rocked up at 6pm on friday, I had planned on being there at 2pm, but I blew a coil pack just after leaving the house and had to wait an hour for the dealership to open, the border control lines were also nasty long and took 2-3 hours to get through. That was a PITA! heh. Anyway, despite rocking up at 6pm on a friday, the guys were more than happy to work with me. Mike Z pulled out a stock ECU so we didnt have to change or run into any issues with my GIAC FX flashed ecu and started tuning on that.

Watching this guy work is crazy. He knows these cars and ECU's backwards. It was too hot and humid to dyno tune the car so we did it all on the street out front of the shop. How convenient to have a nice straight fairly unoccupied street right outside the gates to the shop . Anyway, it took Mike Z only 4 file revisions to get the file to a point that it was actually pulling and performing better than my GIAC FX off the same exact setup. We called it a night on the tuning at around 12:30am.

1st thing in the morning on sat (around 10ish) we meet at the shop and head out for some breakfast. I forget the name of the place, but that made an great omelet. anyway, about an hour later we get back to the shop and put the final touches on the tune, re-enable the adaptations and disable the no-cat CEL. By 1:30 we're all done and I'm ready to head home.

It took a bit for the new file/ECU to be fully adapted to the car but by the time I hit the border thanks to Montreal's stop and go traffic in the city it was fully adjusted and the car felt like a whole new beast. The car is much smoother than the FX flash! it's a 100% stock feeling ride now, only faster. The FX surged a little in 2nd, thats been completely eliminated. In all honesty it feels like I'm driving a bigger engine with no turbo the power comes in so smoothly. Hell, I pushed it as hard as I could on a really straight section of 87 on the way home and managed to hit 158mph ... I'll post a pic of the Navi log later today

I'll be probably picking up a BT in the next month or 2 and it'll be back down to Montreal for some more tuning. If you guys are not happy with your current tune or just want more from your current setup give Unitronic a call, I'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Unitronic Custom Tune

how long of a drive is it from pilly

Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
dan
2nd Gear

it was about 6 1/2-7 hours driving time. I got stuck at the border for a couple hours and the blown coil pack set the trip up there to about 11 hours or so. Coming back was much quicker.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

how much did they charge you for just the tune??