Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual rpm drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:29 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Unusual rpm drop

ORIGINAL: BaconBait

You may want to try the coolant temp sensor. It controls how the car idles. I replaced mine along with the spark plugs a little while ago and it runs 100% better now. Temp sensor and o-ring are cheap, even from the stealership. Make sure to get the clip also. They have a tendancy to break. Make sure to drain the coolant or it will end up all over the back of the motor.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Did you do a TBA after you hooked the battery back up? Its a must whenever youve had your battery disconnected.
Thanks man, it cant hurt to try this one.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Site Moderator

Some TBA info for you... Dont know if you have vagcom or not, i can never remember?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html

Old 11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

This morning I turned the key to the on position and left it there.

I popped the hood and could see the throttle actuator? moving around. It seemed to reset the notch that represents the trottle being completely off.

It took about 30-45 seconds total.

It corrected the issue with the idle drop.

The 2 times I had the battery disconnected in the past, I never had to reset this. It seemed to work it out OK without it.

Also, starnge, I read through the Haynes manual checking the sections on replacing the throttle body, and other TB related info, and nowhere in the haynes does it mention the need for or the procedure for a TBA after removing the battery.

So thanks for the comments and help everyone, I learned something new about my car today.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

Sweet.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Good, you have fixed it. I had to clean my throttle body, to stop this behavior (it was really dirty, carb cleaner was not able to clean all sh.t from there, so had to clean mechanically), then realigned it with vag-com.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
4th Gear

Nice man

Old 11-28-2006, 05:13 PM

nevermind.... didnt read everyone's posts....

Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: raimond
Good, you have fixed it. I had to clean my throttle body, to stop this behavior (it was really dirty, carb cleaner was not able to clean all sh.t from there, so had to clean mechanically), then realigned it with vag-com.
OK, you win.

I got back in the car after work today, same symptoms. Whatever happened to smooth it out a bit in the morning I dont know, but after work the rpm drop was there again.

So, I came home, disconeected the battery, pulled off the intake hose, and began to clean the TB. It was filthy. Seems like I cleaned it about 5k ago when i did the t-belt, maybe not. Anyway, a lot of carb cleaner and 1 dirty old toothbrush later, I now have a clean TB.

Hooked everything back up and went for a drive, problem gone, idle back to normal.

I think i'm going to start cleaning my TB out at every oil change, since it takes only a few minutes to do. That way I'll know its clean.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Site Moderator

Hmmm... Maybe the TBA losened something up and then got stuck again by some sludge/carbon. Good to hear you fixed it (again). Did you do another TBA when you were finished?

Quick Reply: Unusual rpm drop