Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT HELP NEEDED: Replacement top half of switchblade key fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 AM
1st Gear
Default URGENT HELP NEEDED: Replacement top half of switchblade key fob not working

Hi all,

I have searched through the forum and not found the answer to this problem so I thought I would ask.

Both the hinges onmy '99 A4 key fobs have broken. So the blade part was no longer attached to the fob. The remote c/l works as dis the blade in the igntion.

Phoned the dealership they only wanted to sell me complete new keys. So I bought an old key off of E-Bay , replaced the blade with mine andswitched the control part of the fob. Leaving me with what I thought was a perfectly good key.

I go to the car, it unlocks and locks fine, so the key fob is working. Put the key in the ignition and the immobilser kicks in. Read the manual and it tells me that the key is not the right one.

So now I am totally confused. Do I need to reprogram the remote even though it is working? And how can the key be the wrong one it is the same one that came out of the original fob?

I am totally lost, and my only option currently is to go to the dealer and get them to come and collect the vehicle as I currently can't drive it.

Hope someone out there can help.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Replacement top half of switchblade key fob not working

because the immobiliser is a separate system than the remote. hope ths helps. can't u still use ur old key even though it's broken?
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc.html

Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Replacement top half of switchblade key fob not working

Thanks hiwords.

Am I right in thinking there is an immobiliser chip in the key then? Long story on the other key, I seem to have temporarily mislaid the blade. .

Based on what I have read if I were to reprogram the key fob would that work? Failing that I am going to try using the old blade with the old fob and see if that works.

Nothing is ever easy...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

The chip is in the top half of the key. If you are very careful behind the audi ring on the key there is a small screw remove it and split the top half open. After doing the same to your new key add the new blade onto the old chip.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

Thanks rbrtech,
Switched the chip out. Seems the immobiliser now swithces off. Yay! However, the car still won't start. Does the immobiliser disable the car? Or could it be the battery has gone flat?

If it is the battery it will be a lot easier to deal with than the immobiliser.

Many thanks for all your help so far.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear

The immobilizer shuts the car down. Basically what happens is that it will start then shut off. What exactly is happening as you are trying to start. Does it even crank over? Is it slow to crank?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply.

Itdoesn't crankovernow. It was trying before but then the immobiliser stopped it from starting. Does the immobiliser shut the car down completely after so many failed attempts?

Thanks for your continued help.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

Put a jumper box on there

Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to be dense, but this is probably getting a bit beyond my area of expertise.

1)What type of jumper box?
2)And where do I put it.?

Thanks again for putting up with my lack of mechanical experience.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

A battery jump box and hook it up to your battery.

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Replacement top half of switchblade key fob not working