Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Help needed ! Starting Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Urgent Help needed ! Starting Issue.

Hi Guys !
I'm in a right spot. I have a new job on Monday and my A4 avant 1.8 petrol has decided to die on me. It was in the garage this morning getting the brakes done which is ironic.
Just recently it has been starting oddly when the engine was warm which isn't normally an issue for me. I'd have to give it a little gas for it to respond. Then this morning it would start and then die but I could feather the throttle to keep it running as if it was a choke issue. I asked the guys at the garage to give it a check over but they didn't have time. It started ok at the garage and I drove it home. I thought I'd charge the battery as the way it started this morning I wondered if maybe the battery wasn't running the injectors properly till there was some charge in it. ( I have a Kwak Turbo that does that on a weak battery ) and discovered that it won't start at all now. There's plenty of power in the battery but the car fires up and then dies instantly. I don't even have a manual yet as I haven't owned the car long and it's been so reliable so far. Any Ideas ? It's dark now so hoping to have an idea or two by sun up.
Cheers

Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Urgent Help needed ! Starting Issue.

last time fuel filter changed? am i correct in that your just losing idle and won't accelerate? ff is a simple, inexpensive source of those troubles. also, goes out more frequently in most cars than injectors.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

I'm assuming the fuel filter was changed when it was serviced about 2 months ago. Had it done at a local garage who also MOT'd it at the time, mind you they missed 2 extremely dodgy brake hoses so perhaps the service was as good.
The thing is for the moment when it runs the car will rev ! and then die. but if I don't rev it, it doesn't run for longer which is what I'd expect if it was a fuel starvation issue.
I'll check it just to make sure though
Cheers

Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Check your vaccumm lines and scan it for codes.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 AM
1st Gear

I checked the fuel filter and it's OK but I just noticed when trying to start it again that the imobiliser light is flashing on the dash. Apparently I'm now using an unauthorised key !! I dug out my spare key and it's doing the same with that one too. I'm guessing there's no way to immobilise the immobiliser to get me running unless you guys know better.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Cyber ! Excellent suggestion, but it didn't work. Besides the Immobiliser light I'm getting3 beeps does thattell you anything ? Wishing I'd gotten round to buying the manual when it was working OK now.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 AM

starts and dies check the ribbed pipe going to the throttle body from the air filterfor cracks and the clamps are tight ( immobiliser should not beep ) that means there is a problem with the immobiliser and it needs to be reset you need VAG for that

Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM

#

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/ADFAA75D6E5E409592BA349E2A6CEC3E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Avant80 I think you got it there ! Was hoping to avoid the dealership if poss but just gonna have to swallow hard and pay up ! I'm supposing it's a quick job ( with the right gear ) so it might not hurt too much.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Urgent Help needed ! Starting Issue.