Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at Idle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Vibration at Idle.

Hi everyone. I need some help. I have an 2002 1.8T Tiptronic Quattro Turbo. It vibrates while idling. I took it to the dealership and they performed the following:
Replaced the driveshaft (internal cv damage),
Checked subframe torque (good),
Inspected Trans Mounts (good),
Inspected Engine Mounts (good),
Cleaned Throttle body and intake manifold (this helped a little).

I just bought this car last week great vehicle but this vibration is driving me CRAZY.

This car ONLY vibrates at idle. It doesn't matter if the car is in park, drive, sport, reverse, or neutral it will vibrate. When I drive the car it sounds great and does not vibrate. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Vibration at Idle.

Mine does that too. It took some getting used to since I couldn't even tell that my Subaru was running when it was idling. I had a thorough inspection done and everything was as it should be so I just don't worry about it anymore. Then again, mine isn't vibrating hard enough to cause any rattling or buzzing...if it were, I would be less inclined to ignore it. If you turn the A/C off, is it as bad?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

I really should say shakes because that is a closer description. It does vibrate (I mean shake) more when I turn the A/C way up. It also gets worse momentarily when I put it in Drive or Reverse.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds like mine. Is it idling at less than 1000 rpms?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Yes. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear

No, it sounds normal to me. If you're concerned, ask an independent German mechanic to look at it.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

Sounds normal? I can feel it in the cabin. When the car is idling it shakes everything. If you put your head on theheadrest you can feel it shake?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

No, your car should not be shaking, it should be so smooth at idle that you cant even tell its running except by looking at the rpm guage.
Sounds like its misfiring or not idling properly.
Any codes at all? CEL?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

I thought that is what an Audi would sound like. To answer your question: No. No codes at all. What is CEL? The dealership said, "checked throttle percentage in MVB 3. Percentage at 2.7 spec is 1.2. Performed intake cleaning. Removed intake hose and used cleaner to clean throttle bode and intake manifold. After cleaning thottle percentage went down to 1.2%" This did help, but did not solve the problem. The car still shakes and vibrates the seats and everything else. The dealership had no other ideas. When I put the car in Drive or Reverse it is worse than "normal" (as far as my cargoes) for a coupleseconds.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 AM
2nd Gear

go to autozone and have th car scanned for coddes, you are missfireing soound like you have a bad plug do a tuneup and see who that fixes it, its not that expensiev and should be done anyway one audi's, that should fix you yup, if it doesnt then there are other things we can try

Quick Reply: Vibration at Idle.