Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration: this will stump you all.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Vibration: this will stump you all.

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

And you are absolutely positive your wheels are ballanced correctly? Maybe one of the weights fell off? They do put them on the insides of the wheels too, so itd be hard to notice.
Yeah, I'm positive. I've only got wheel weights on the inside of my wheels... sticky weights. They're there, though... and I had my old wheels balanced THREE times trying to stop this vibration.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Check drive shaftweight see if it fell off.if it was a tirebalancing issue it would be there at 36.5 mph as well as 73. Halfshafts could also be the cause. Where do you hear the thud

Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
5th Gear

It's not like I -hear- the thud... I feel it.
I think my halfshafts are all okay... well, the CV's are all okay anyways. Boots are all fine, the car is at around 80k miles...
The water thing bloody stumps me though.
I'm wondering if my usual vibration is something like the driveshaft... and the water is something else.
My wheels hold water... so did my old ones. Just the way that the inner barrel is shaped, they let water pool in them... I'm wondering if that has something to do with the thump. Maybe it just horribly unbalances the wheel (if for some reason the water doesn't just evenly distribute itself while spinning).

Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Zombie Defense Force

well i dotn think the water would evenly distribute it self but im no engineer.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Ok... I had something similar to this happen to my civic back in the day, or atleast it seems similar... any who what I found it to be was my exhaust system was hitting the chassis of the car. And it was only noticed in the rain because of the "added pressure" of the water hitting on the front side of the muffler. If you follow... it took me FOREVER to figure it out because sitting still, nothing hit/rubbed/anything! Try shaking the exhaust with some good force and see if the flanges or muffler are hitting anywhere. Mine was the rear flange hitting on the seam of the gas tank. Let me know!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

Damn, sounds like it's posessed. What condition are all the mounts in?(diff, tranny etc) Also, are you running any hubcentric rings or spacers?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

I would be looking at the drive shaft mounts or the dough nut bush ( I cant say that in American lol ) but its a rubber bushing on the prop shaft
Bingo!!!!!! If you can get the car in the air and check it while somebody drives it up to about 50-60 mph you will be able to either see the rear wheels flopping up and down, or you will see the center prop shaft flopping around in the rubber bushing.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 PM
18T
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I would be looking at the drive shaft mounts or the dough nut bush ( I cant say that in American lol ) but its a rubber bushing on the prop shaft
Bingo!!!!!! If you can get the car in the air and check it while somebody drives it up to about 50-60 mph you will be able to either see the rear wheels flopping up and down, or you will see the center prop shaft flopping around in the rubber bushing.
bingo!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: 18T

bingo!
B-I-N-G-O B-I-N-G-O ok however that song goes

Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: 18T

bingo!
B-I-N-G-O B-I-N-G-O ok however that song goes

Quick Reply: Vibration: this will stump you all.