Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Light in Cluster (Yellow-priority 2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Warning Light in Cluster (Yellow-priority 2)

Can anyone help. I have a warning light (yellow-priority 2) comes on when put in drive or reverse, at the top & in the cluster, looks like a "Brake light" warning sign as in the manual but without a symbol of lightbulb inside the circle. Dam its hard to describe..
1. I can't find the exact same symbol in the maual.
2. Run the auto check in the cluster and find nothing wrong, at the end it said OK but when put in drive there is a beep sound & light came on.
3. Check brake lights and all other lights find nothing wrong.

FYI, this is a 1999 A4 1.8T-Q , and in Toronto-Canada.
Appreciate your help.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:46 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Warning Light in Cluster (Yellow-priority 2)

Does it look like this???

Old 05-27-2004, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Look like that except no "!" inside the circle (nothing inside the circle) and it located in the top where the pic. of a fuel pump. It is so strange, I checked all these symbols in the manual and could not find anything without having something in that circle.

Old 05-28-2004, 04:04 AM
6th Gear

Do any of these look like it?

link

Old 05-28-2004, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

No, similar one is the brake warning but none of this "!" inside the circle.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:27 PM
6th Gear

well my guess is that your brake pads are wearing thin. I can't be sure though, since its differerent. Do you have access to a vag-com?

Old 05-28-2004, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

I have no idea what is a vag-com?
You may be right, could be brake pads getting thin since the symbol seem to be similar to other warning sign relating to brakes problem, eg. brake light bulb.
I'm going to have a mechanic to look at it, does it require an audi mech. to turn the warning light off if I get it fix else where.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:12 PM
6th Gear

It is basically an adapter that connects a computer to your car's computer system.

Looks like this:

If you plan on doing any amount of work yourself, i'd invest in buying one. It will easily pay for itself over the life of your car. You can get it from: Ross-Tech

I'm not sure if a non-audi/volkswagon mechanic will be able to turn the light off or not. It should go away after the pads are replaced (providing that is the problem). You could always change the pads yourself, its pretty easy.

Do me a favor and take a flash light and go out to your car and look at the brake calipers. You should be able to see the brake pads and whether or not they are worn down.

Old 05-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Site Moderator

The light will go off when you change your brakes as far as I know. It only comes on because the pad has worn so thin that contact is made with the sensor creating a pathway for the signal, triggering the light.

Make sure you check the INNER brake pad, as they can wear down to the metal without the outer pads looking bad at all.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Hoping you guys can help me out. I looked at the brakes and it seem thebrake pads are thin. I called Audi dealer and they told me that they also change the rotors if needed and that they never machine them at all even there are still meat on it. Is this becuase the rotors are design not to be machined and when they are thin out they just replace new one? Or this guy trying to dick into my pocket.

Quick Reply: Warning Light in Cluster (Yellow-priority 2)