Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went out and got the new car chipped today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Default Went out and got the new car chipped today...

So today when I got up and took my car for a spin, I decided the car needed a little more power and since Ive been reading a good amount on here I decided to go with the APR chip. I called up the local dealer and scheduled to have it done this afternoon. I got there and 30 minutes later, the car was done and ready to go with the 93 octane and stock program and also new spark plugs which were gapped appropriately. So I went to leave the dealer and not 2 tenths of a mile later its starts misfiring and CEL starts flashing, so I turn around and got it right back in the shop. They checked the cylinders and replaced the one bad coil, not too big of a deal. Then they took it out for a spin to test it out and another coil blew... Bad news was, they only had one coil in stock. However after a half hour they managed to find one from another car that was in and so far it has held up. They were really good about it up there, only charged me 80$ for both coils installed and offered me a refund for the coils if I could get my dealer to replace them and then return the ones they installed. So I head to my dealership and told them what happened (minus the chipping of course) and they are putting on brand new coils for me tomorrow since I just got the car last week. Pretty good service I must say. I was also thinking about ordering an extra set of coils and plugs and just keeping them around. Anyways, love the way the car drives now. Just wondering if theres any other spare parts that I should keep around that might go soon.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Went out and got the new car chipped today...

Glad to hear everything is going well now. Besides spare plugs I just have a tool box in my trunk with everything I can fit in it

Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm make believe

you really should take out the plugs and make sure they are gapped to .028. Its a awfully big coincidence that they started misfiring after they installed new plugs. Id almost put money that the coilpacks they removed werent bad.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

That’s unfortunate that you had some problems but sick that it's working now..I'd be interested in a write up after you've logged some time since I basically have the same car andI am in the same position you were in about deciding what kind of chip to get....hope everything goes smoothly

Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

yes, its a world of difference. I got mine chipped (not APR though) 2 months ago and feel like its a new car. Enjoy the ride. Also added exhaust and short shifter.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 PM

I just went out and checked the plugs, theyre gapped at .028. When they brought the car in, It was misfiring on cylinder 1 and 3 orignally. So they suspected the misfire from cylinder 3 was affecting 1, so they switched the coil from 3 to cylinder 4. Then only 4 was misfiring, so they replaced that coil. Started up fine, they they went out for a spin and cylinder 2 started to misfire, they came back and swapped that coil to 1 and then 1 misfired, so they replaced it and thats where I sit right now. But tomorrow I will have a set of 4 new coils in. amiller, If youre thinking of a chip, go APR soon, they have a sale buy the chip, get one additional program free. I opted for 93 and stock for $499, instead of paying $649 when the sales over.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

enjoy it while it lasts. i got chipped in august.. damn my car is slow. i loved it for a little while at least, but the realization that my car was still slow hit me fast. now i'm saving up for a bt and extra money for when things go wrong.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Yea, I mean I didnt buy an 1.8t A4 because I wanted a fast car lol. I just wanted it a little quicker so I could have a little more fun. I think this will be my biggest upgrade as Im only planning on keeping the car until I graduate and I dont really want to start a money pit.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

i wish i were as wise as you. i'm in college and my car is eating up my funds pretty badly... it's a lack of self control, and the worst part is being completely aware of it. anyhow, i hope to keep this car once a graduate, get a good job, then spend even more money seeing as how i want to make this my project car... with another car as my dd of couse.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 AM

Hey all, I just got an 2003.5 1.8T A4. Never had an Audi so I'm not in the know about how this thing should respond at acceleration. Its real quick with the gears, but the motor feels a little like a rubberband. It takes just a micro second to respond. I really cant say it hesitates, must be the turbo kicking in. any words of wisdom?

Quick Reply: Went out and got the new car chipped today...