AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   what does turbo whistle sound like? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/what-does-turbo-whistle-sound-like-23157/)

cinescapist 01-14-2006 09:59 PM

what does turbo whistle sound like?

i'm a newbie with a 2006 a4 2.0 T...this is my first turbo...

what does "turbo whistle" sound like? is a constant faint whistle? or do you only hear it when revving hard?

i hear a constant faint high pitched whistle above 20 mph (like wind coming through the vents - very faint)...is that the turbo whistle...is that the turbo spooling? that's only sound i hear resembling a whistle...

any advice would be appreciated...thanks...

thanks!

FASTER 01-14-2006 10:17 PM

RE: what does turbo whistle sound like?

ORIGINAL: cinescapist
what does "turbo whistle" sound like? is a constant faint whistle? or do you only hear it when revving hard
when ever ur spooling up or spooled already(ie. somewhere around 2k rpm and above) u should hear the turbo dumping pressure through ur bypass or diverter valve, yes it sounds kinda like air going over racks or other non aerodynamic things. imagine forcing massive amounts of pressurized air through something. if u could hear me over the comp i could better explain. go to sightsnsounds forum and watch a few video clips. u'll understand.

cinescapist 01-14-2006 10:36 PM

thanks...

so is that very faint high pitched whistling sound that starts when i hit about 20 mph from the turbo then?

headshok2002 01-15-2006 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

what does "turbo whistle" sound like? is a constant faint whistle? or do you only hear it when revving hard
when ever ur spooling up or spooled already(ie. somewhere around 2k rpm and above) u should hear the turbo dumping pressure through ur bypass or diverter valve, yes it sounds kinda like air going over racks or other non aerodynamic things. imagine forcing massive amounts of pressurized air through something. if u could hear me over the comp i could better explain. go to sightsnsounds forum and watch a few video clips. u'll understand.
It doesn't "divert" the air until you let off the gas... or are boosting too high for your DV.

cinescapist 01-15-2006 01:38 AM

??

eisman 01-15-2006 02:04 AM

The whistle may be a vacuum leak. Turbo death whistle sounds like a dentists drill. The rule is if you have to ask then you don't have it.

headshok2002 01-15-2006 05:01 AM

I don't think he is worried about his turbo, as his car is brand new. Having a vacuum leak would be strange too, on a brand new car. The turbo should be pretty much inaudible... unless you are loading the engine (accellerating, or going up a hill). As your engine works harder, it creates more exhaust, which spools the turbo. Get into 3rd gear, and acellerate from 3500 - 5500 RPM, and you'll hear your turbo.

If you have a constant whistling noise... I'd get that figured out. It would drive me effin crazy!

cinescapist 01-15-2006 05:23 AM

thanks...

this is kind of confusing...other threads emphasize the faint whistling of turbo spooling...

my whistle is so faint, you barely hear it...i took a friend for a ride and he didn't hear it until i pointed it out to him...i don't hear it after 40-50mph...

Karl 01-15-2006 06:44 AM

probably just the turbo

victor_c 01-15-2006 09:41 AM

for anyone who dont know and wants to hear what Turbo sounds like...
Try some game... I would recommend EA need for speed (Underground, underground 2 or Most wanted)
I say try with good speakers or get a decent headphones.
They emulate turbo sound pretty good. btw.. you shouldn't hear the blow off valve on ur car.
And the turbo sound should be much softer.

on ur account... it sounds like the Turbo... Try revving up the engine while in Neutral.. you can hear better.

98 A4 Turbo 01-15-2006 04:38 PM

i wouldnt worry about the wistle too much. ur turbo is not running enough boost off the stock settings to make a noticable noise. the only way to really hear it a little is to rev the car in nuetral around 4000rpm. instead of pointing out the wistle to friends, u should point out the power band the turbo provides from 3000-5000 rpms. i think thats more impressive than a wistle.

cinescapist 01-15-2006 05:14 PM

thanks guys...

so have you heard this sound before in your cars or others with turbo?

"i hear a constant faint high pitched whistle above 20 mph (like wind coming through the vents - very faint)...is that the turbo whistle...is that the turbo spooling? that's only sound i hear resembling a whistle... "

thanks, again...

onepoint8tee 01-15-2006 05:26 PM

thanks guys...

so have you heard this sound before in your cars or others with turbo?

"i hear a constant faint high pitched whistle above 20 mph (like wind coming through the vents - very faint)...is that the turbo whistle...is that the turbo spooling? that's only sound i hear resembling a whistle... "

thanks, again...

Well once you get above 20mph turn your recirculation button on and that will tell you if its air coming through the vents from the outside or not. I would assume that you would be able to hear a faint spool up under 20mph-from a stop. I can hear mine slightly going from a stop but then i cant hear it after about 15-20mph and i am mostly stock.

cinescapist 01-15-2006 05:37 PM

thanks...

i turned off the climate control and still heard this sound...

again, it only kicks in after i hit 20 mph or so...it's a really faint high pitched whistle sound...my friend didn't hear it until i pointed it out...it seems to vanish at about 50 mph...

am i going crazy? i've gotten so many answers...i appreciate them all...most seem to say it's a turbo related sound...

onepoint8tee 01-15-2006 05:41 PM

thanks...

i turned off the climate control and still heard this sound...

again, it only kicks in after i hit 20 mph or so...it's a really faint high pitched whistle sound...my friend didn't hear it until i pointed it out...it seems to vanish at about 50 mph...

am i going crazy? i've gotten so many answers...i appreciate them all...most seem to say it's a turbo related sound...
Well im sure you have a warranty if your that worried take it to the dealer and have them check it out, i would think they would not charge for that, but i dont know for sure.

flyinb501 01-15-2006 07:29 PM

Yes, it is your turbo. No, nothing is wrong with your car.

cinescapist 01-16-2006 04:08 AM

lextaggard 08-20-2006 09:43 PM

I have an 2000 A4 and recently I'm hearing the same exact whistle as you are. It only does it when I'm going under 50mph and it's driving me crazy!!! I still haven't figured out what the hell it is but it's the most irritating noise ever

Cameron 08-20-2006 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinb501

Yes, it is your turbo. No, nothing is wrong with your car.
Funny, it took so long for someone to step in and actually answer the guy's question.

Lextaggard, I'd start by letting us know what engine model you have, how many miles, any mods, etc.