Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does turbo whistle sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 09:59 PM
1st Gear
Default what does turbo whistle sound like?

i'm a newbie with a 2006 a4 2.0 T...this is my first turbo...

what does "turbo whistle" sound like? is a constant faint whistle? or do you only hear it when revving hard?

i hear a constant faint high pitched whistle above 20 mph (like wind coming through the vents - very faint)...is that the turbo whistle...is that the turbo spooling? that's only sound i hear resembling a whistle...

any advice would be appreciated...thanks...

thanks!

Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Slut
Default RE: what does turbo whistle sound like?

ORIGINAL: cinescapist
what does "turbo whistle" sound like? is a constant faint whistle? or do you only hear it when revving hard
when ever ur spooling up or spooled already(ie. somewhere around 2k rpm and above) u should hear the turbo dumping pressure through ur bypass or diverter valve, yes it sounds kinda like air going over racks or other non aerodynamic things. imagine forcing massive amounts of pressurized air through something. if u could hear me over the comp i could better explain. go to sightsnsounds forum and watch a few video clips. u'll understand.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

thanks...

so is that very faint high pitched whistling sound that starts when i hit about 20 mph from the turbo then?

Old 01-15-2006, 12:56 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

ORIGINAL: cinescapist
what does "turbo whistle" sound like? is a constant faint whistle? or do you only hear it when revving hard
when ever ur spooling up or spooled already(ie. somewhere around 2k rpm and above) u should hear the turbo dumping pressure through ur bypass or diverter valve, yes it sounds kinda like air going over racks or other non aerodynamic things. imagine forcing massive amounts of pressurized air through something. if u could hear me over the comp i could better explain. go to sightsnsounds forum and watch a few video clips. u'll understand.
It doesn't "divert" the air until you let off the gas... or are boosting too high for your DV.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

??

Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

The whistle may be a vacuum leak. Turbo death whistle sounds like a dentists drill. The rule is if you have to ask then you don't have it.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:01 AM
5th Gear

I don't think he is worried about his turbo, as his car is brand new. Having a vacuum leak would be strange too, on a brand new car. The turbo should be pretty much inaudible... unless you are loading the engine (accellerating, or going up a hill). As your engine works harder, it creates more exhaust, which spools the turbo. Get into 3rd gear, and acellerate from 3500 - 5500 RPM, and you'll hear your turbo.

If you have a constant whistling noise... I'd get that figured out. It would drive me effin crazy!

Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

thanks...

this is kind of confusing...other threads emphasize the faint whistling of turbo spooling...

my whistle is so faint, you barely hear it...i took a friend for a ride and he didn't hear it until i pointed it out to him...i don't hear it after 40-50mph...

Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Administrator

probably just the turbo

Old 01-15-2006, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

for anyone who dont know and wants to hear what Turbo sounds like...
Try some game... I would recommend EA need for speed (Underground, underground 2 or Most wanted)
I say try with good speakers or get a decent headphones.
They emulate turbo sound pretty good. btw.. you shouldn't hear the blow off valve on ur car.
And the turbo sound should be much softer.

on ur account... it sounds like the Turbo... Try revving up the engine while in Neutral.. you can hear better.

Quick Reply: what does turbo whistle sound like?