Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes the A4 purr so sweetly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:16 AM
1st Gear
Default What makes the A4 purr so sweetly?

I have an '07 CVT, and one thing I really like is the sound of the engine. At idle it has a gentle purr that reminds me of pre-chrysler Mercedes (not a replica, but a similar sort of quality "note.") I am a layperson, so I don't know how to more accurately describe it. When you step on the gas, it also has a nice quality sound to it. After getting used to it I didn't notice it as much until I rented an 07 Maxima, which is at a similar price point. The Maxima had nothingspecial about it-- step on the gas and it sounds like, I don't know, a generic pickup engine or something.

I realize one difference between the two cars' enginesis the A4 has a 4-cyl + turbo. Other than that though, what really makes the difference in sound? Do they do something to purposely make it sound different, or is it "by accident?"

Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What makes the A4 purr so sweetly?

The maxi has an engine made in France... need I say more?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Heh. Well that does make me question the quality of a Maxima engine. But from a mechanical perspective, I mean, what's the difference. To me the a4's "sounds" like a quality engine...but how something "sounds" like quality I can't explain, it just does. Do they specifically do something to make it sound cool, or is it just part of being better designed?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

The CVT probably helps...

SMo'

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Do you mean pre Crysler Mercedes? If you do nothing about the Benzes, has really changed they bought Crysler and their parts are going into Cryslers so... that part doesnt make sense.A maxima would never sound like a pickup really as it has a four or six cylinder and what most think of as a generic pickup has a v8 so they should sound very different. But I do think 1.8ts and 2ts sound pretty good for four cylinders.

Key things that make engines sound different besides the exhuast system are the displacement, number of cylinders and firing order among other things.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
2nd Gear

every company has their own basic sound. a lot of it has to do with the fireing order or the engine, the intake setup, how the valves lift, and the exaust. there is a suprizing amound of work put into intake and exaust to do with sound waves and resonance. EX: the ford expedition and the dodge magnum R/T (just examples) have an intake box setup so that due to the engine speed and the vibrations of the air the harmonics are setup so that the shock waves hit eachother canceling eachother out giving it a deeper less obtrusive tone. it also has to do with just the quality of parts, how tight and smooth everything fits, the density, weight...it goes on. there are a lot of variances

go listen to a 60's smallblock ford V8. nothing purrs like it when it running right...

Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Site Moderator

FSI

Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

FSI? How would that make it quieter, maybe' the way the valvetrane operates but FSI?

SMo'

Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Site Moderator

Not quieter...Purrier.
CVT has nothing to do with the sound of the engine btw.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:05 AM
1st Gear

The engine no but the overall sound of the vehicle wouldnt it? I have never ridden in one but the way it works I would assume it would be a bit quieter...

SMo'

Quick Reply: What makes the A4 purr so sweetly?