Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the MAF? How to Remove?

Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Default Where is the MAF? How to Remove?

I've searched and searched, but can't find any type of guide for this. I have a 2003 A4 1.8t, and just installed a K&N, and now my CEL came on (i'm guessing it's the MAF after reading the forum, but will take to autozone today to make sure).

Anyways, where the heck is the MAF? How do I take it out to clean it?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Where is the MAF? How to Remove?

I'm guessing it's where the yellow arrow is pointing. Is that right?

Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

Its in the tube coming out of the airbox.

Follow the intake tube, you will see it goes to the bottom. So, the top of the airbox is where the air comes out. In the tube coming off the airbox you will find the maf.

I believe you can remove it from the tube with a torx bit, or just spray cleaner on it while its still in there. Its a thin wire inside the tube, use rubbing alcohol, or electrical contact cleaner to clean it.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: rccks96

I'm guessing it's where the yellow arrow is pointing. Is that right?

I think thats it. You can probably remove the large hose and spray in there without removing the sensor.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:40 PM

I got it scanned at autozone, and it's code P0171. Since I just put in a K&N filter yesterday, do you think the MAF is the problem?

Also, can someone confirm the location of the MAF (yellow arrow in the picture i posted)? If so, how the heck do you take it out. It's attached with 2 funky screws - kinda like torx, but they have a piece in the middle (like you maybe need a hollowed out torx wrench).

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Zombie Defense Force

you take out the entire housing. not just the maf it self. then you get an entire new unit

Old 01-26-2007, 06:02 PM

But is the housing what I pointed to in the picture (the yellow arrow)?

If so, any ideas on taking it off - it's got funky screws.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Zombie Defense Force

yes thats the maf. you need to take the hoses off of it. dont remove the screws. take it out of the intake and off the intake hose

Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM

Sorry, I couldn't really follow what you were saying there. Were you just saying that I'd have to remove the large hose coming off the box (at the bottom of the pic i posted)? And then I'd be able to remove from the inside?

Also, can someone tell me if it's ok to drive this way for a few days? Will I be screwing up my engine at all?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

No, the MAF is the whole thing, remove the hose, and it should come out of the airbox, it like a round plastic piece of pipe with the maf inside it, Jeff is saying do not try to remove the sensor from the pipe, its all one piece.

P0171

Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Lean

Probably is the MAF, but since you just put the filter in, I bet it got dirty. Take the hose off the end, and spray cleaner in there to try to clean it, clear the codes and see if it comes back. Is the car running OK? If so, its probably OK to drive. If its running poorly, you can verify that the MAF is the problem by diconnecting the wiring harness from the MAF, if the car starts running OK, then the MAF is the problem and needs replaced (if you've already cleaned it to no avail.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the MAF? How to Remove?