Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a "ko3s" to a Ko4 is pointless.... i have proof

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:47 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Why a "ko3s" to a Ko4 is pointless.... i have proof

ORIGINAL: Sp33d07

also if you statistics are proving that its pointless to upgrade to ko4, why do people with ko4 says their car pulls better and there is less turbo lack?
First i think you mean lag not lack. The spool will be the same with either turbo, the difference is usually that massive increase in psi most tuners run compared to the ko3. Also the people that are having the "huge" gains are the B5'ers that actually have a difference. B6'ers wont see any gains worth writing home about.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear

Its a big difference but honestly if i could do it all again(which i probably will) i would have gone big turbo. Yayu.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:32 AM

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

depends on what you want your car to do/perform.

What power goal
what do you plan on using the car for
how much you looking to spend
keeping stock internals
how much lag can you stand

simple things like that need to be addressed before we can decide ona turbo
power goal of 250 whp
daily driver plus some fun
doesnt matter about the money because i can save if i have to
doesnt matter
doesnt matter

i just want a noticable difference, maybe a 13 sec. car?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:16 AM
1st Gear

Instead of spending so much $ trying to go BT to up HP and Torque, just get a B5 S4 and start modding that. its more worth it in the long run. 2.7T FTW! seriously, i bought my 1.8T thinking of modding it, when all along i should have saved up just a few grand more and went with an S4... I think ALMOST every A4 owner on here wishes they'd done that at one point or the other. go ahead and flame if you disagree

Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 AM

ORIGINAL: outasflyguy

Instead of spending so much $ trying to go BT to up HP and Torque, just get a B5 S4 and start modding that. its more worth it in the long run. 2.7T FTW! seriously, i bought my 1.8T thinking of modding it, when all along i should have saved up just a few grand more and went with an S4... I think ALMOST every A4 owner on here wishes they'd done that at one point or the other. go ahead and flame if you disagree
I disagree. how many people here can afford the increase in cost of insurance between an A4 and an S4? for me it's more than $1000 a year, just on insurance.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

I knew someone would pull out the insurance card, that seems really REALLY steep to me. but seriously there is more power potential on the 2.7T and its soo much more worth it.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:50 AM
2nd Gear

Id have to dissagree here. I looked into the s4, besides insurance being a bitch the fact is that its alot more expensive. Upfront, an s4 is atleast 3-5 grand more then an a4. And im being really generous there. Exhaust is about the same, but you are looking at twice that if you go with full downpipes etc. So theres another grand. Every maintanence on it is more expensive, clutch is atleast 2 times as much and lets say you get all the common upgrades. You could still do an a4 with bt for about that much if not less, save money on all the things, suspension, clutch, dvs. And still make a good 300 hp to the wheels. Thats lighter then an s4 and probably as fast if not faster. Plus you have that big turbo nastalga (sp oh god) so i dunno tuff call, but id rather have the really badass a4 where you can say i actually did make this a hell of alot faster, instead of saying i just bought ecu and exhaust.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: outasflyguy

I knew someone would pull out the insurance card, that seems really REALLY steep to me. but seriously there is more power potential on the 2.7T and its soo much more worth it.
it is really steep. there's a reason for it, the S4 is a high performance car. the company who insures an S4 is taking more risk in doing so, so it's only natural to expect them to charge more for said insurance.

of course there's more power potential with a 2.7T. duh, it's 50% more engine than the 1.8T, with twice as many turbochargers. whether or not it's "soo much more worth it" is entirely subjective though.

if I really wanted a 2.7T, I'd look into an A6 with a 6 speed. the insurance on it will be nowhere near what the S4 is, and a 2.7T A6 is only about 150 lbs heavier than a B5 S4. plus you get the added room and amenities of the midsize A6.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

i guess you guys are looking at it from way diff. perspectives than me.. I dont know about you guys but, i'd bet there isnt any better feeling than knowing you've got an S4 sitting in your garage. (unless its an RS4/RS6/S8/S6 haha)

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: A4speed

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

depends on what you want your car to do/perform.

What power goal
what do you plan on using the car for
how much you looking to spend
keeping stock internals
how much lag can you stand

simple things like that need to be addressed before we can decide ona turbo
power goal of 250 whp
daily driver plus some fun
doesnt matter about the money because i can save if i have to
doesnt matter
doesnt matter

i just want a noticable difference, maybe a 13 sec. car?
If you want a 13 sec A4 your going to need more than 250whp. A 28rs or t3 60trim should get you closer to the 300whp mark, spool very fast, safe for the stock engine, and get you into the 13's

Quick Reply: Why a "ko3s" to a Ko4 is pointless.... i have proof