Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the A/C always on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Why is the A/C always on?

The B6 uses a wobble plate A/C compressor design which basically doesn't decrease the horse power.
On a very hot *** day you might lose about 4 HP with the A/C on so don't worry about it.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Default RE: Why is the A/C always on?

Just to clear a few things up:
I don't own this car yet.
Econ does not shut it off completely. In playing with this, I notice that there was a considerable drag on the engine at idle with the econ mode and the cabin fans just turned on(therefore engaging the AC). At idle, I notced the radiator fans running when I knew the engine as not hot - this is tied to the AC to keep heat from going from the radiator to the AC exchanger.

So we have fans and AC compressors always running unless the cabin fans are turned off.

In my opinion this is a design flaw. if the AC is on, it is consuming power (4/220 horse power is not much, but you're not using 220 horses unless you're in a race. At 50mph tooling around in traffic, the AC is a siginficant part of the load on the engine). It is probably there to keep the humidity down as suggested earlier since this destroys electronics, leather, vinyl etc.The audi engineers think that the logic you get from a $2.00 motorola IC is smarter thanthat ofa typical Audi driver. However, this is the trend in the automotive industry, unfortunately.

Sky