Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my sub cut in and out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default why does my sub cut in and out?

i got this new stupid 4 channel amp to replace my 2 channel amp (which was so much better) sold the 2 channel for more than its worth. anyways i have completly eliminated my stock amp in the trunk and connected the rear deck speakers to the 4 channel and they work perfect, now what i did was tap into the rear deck wires to create the other "channel" for the sub. the top deck speakers work perfect but the sub seem to cut in and out. i am not useing a hi/lo, the hi/lo created more problems.
any help would be great.
Thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Default RE: why does my sub cut in and out?

probably just a loose wire..but then again the wires aren't meant to be spliced into so maybe its too much for them...

Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

have you tried your sub on its own? maybe becuase you've link the sub into the same cable as the rear deck the sub isnt getting enough power to it.

putting your sub inline with the rear deckcould cuase quite a bit of damage to the sub due to the hi and low pass over filters. put the filter to hi and your sub is gonna try to kick out thehi's and mids' aswell as the lows and you couldblow your sub. if you put it on low, which is perfect for a sub, your rear deck wont kick outany mid's or hi's, you cant damage your rear deck this way, it just sounds crap though.
can you ajust the passover filter manual with a screw driver instead of using the switch?i think mostamps have this.....

Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 PM
4th Gear

I'd assume your wires loose, is the box securely in place?

Old 05-20-2007, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear

wires are all tight, box is securely in place, the amp has a front and rear "channel", i followed what the amp directions say of connecting rear speakers with a sub, i have the sub on low, and the rear decks are set as mids.
argghhh, should have just left the 2 channel in with the stock amp.
thanks for the sugestions tho,

Old 05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

you should keep an eye out at bestbuy or circuit city for when they do someend of stock deals.
i got my Dual 460w 1-2channel amp from bestbuy for $50. the wireing kit cost more then the amp lol
the amp should've been like $150, but they were ending the stock of that amp. i wish i bought 4 more of them now though, keep one for my self so i had 2 and sell the others on ebay. its actualy a nice amp, had it a year, not failed once.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

what about if you put your rear deck as front speakers and the sub as rear speakers on the amp?? i find that my oem front speakers are quite powerfull just connected from the radio (17w-rms).

Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear

check the grounding wire... maybe that came loose when you changed everything over

Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

A4Tuner.
Date 5/20/2007 9:04:03 PM

what about if you put your rear deck as front speakers and the sub as rear speakers on the amp?? i find that my oem front speakers are quite powerfull just connected from the radio (17w-rms).
thats how its setup, its wierd, i have the lines spliced into 2 diff rcas. 1 for sub 1 for rear deck heres a quick diagram of what i did to help explain myself.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15922/14577DA709C84DFB85C0A73866AFA933.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

i take it its still the oem head unit, else i dont understand why you spliced into the red and blue cables, which are rca cablesright?
if your using an oem headunit maybe its getting crossed frequencies from the rca inputs from the radio?
i know that with my sony head unit i have 2 pre-amp outputs, front and rear/sub which are rca.
i had a ton of trouble with the oem amp on them rear speakers when i put in my headunit. i had a green, brown and a yellow socket going into one big socket in the oem radio. i eneded up taking all the sockets out and re-wireing everything becuase of that oem amp (white wire) just to get my rear deck to work properly with my sony head unit.
i couldnt find what wire was powering the oem amp, i had a ton of negitives(brown) everywhereand the rear speaker wires were all over the place. i found out later once i powered it up on its own that the white wire was its true positive.
have you done anything with these cables, maybe its the oem amps cables messingyou around? just a thought.