Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows open when driver door opens

Old 02-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Default Windows open when driver door opens

Hi,

I have a European 1998 Audi A4. I've recently noticed that when I turn the engine off and open the driver door, both front passenger and driver windows open!

I've spoken to a local Audi dealer and they said it could be any form of electrical problem.

The only way to shut them is to re-insert the key into the ignition, turn to the third stage and shut them and lock the car.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Thanks,
Simon

Old 02-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Windows open when driver door opens

I have honestly never ever heard of that. Does it happen every single time?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:48 PM

so when u turn it to that third stage you can close the passenger window and leave the driver one open sounds like a problem in the switch to me

Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Yes, every time. It does it when I unlock the car with the key and also like I've said when I get out. I've just read the manual and found out that you can shut the windows by leaving the key to the lock position. I suppose that's a small consolation. I put a new battery in about a month ago and seemed to have the alarm going off intermittently for one night. I'm just wondering if it's putting the new battery in that's done it.

I've found a fuse listing on Audiworld.com I was thinking of taking out fuse 6 (Central locking) and fuse 12 which I think is the On board diagnostic system. It may reset the system but I doubt it as I've left the battery disconnected for five minutes.

I'm going to try another auto electrician that I have the number for. I'm loathed to take it to a dealer as an auto electrician I spoke to had the same problem with a Mercedes last week and they charged a fair bit just to put one of their own batteries in and reset the computer.

I'm just wondering if there is some way of resetting the system without taking it to the dealer? Also the message INSP is on the mileage display, no doubt it's due for a service.....

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Simon

Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM

It applies to both windows, they both open at the same time. It doesn't differ between the left or right.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

sounds like a safety feature gone haywire to me, so that you don't lock your keys in the car

Old 02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

check the driver door ecu, water may have gotten in there and caused a short or caused the like someone said a "safety feature" where if the car is submerged in water then the windows must be able to unroll, maybe audi unrolls them automatically.
even if the ecu was reset you should only lose auto up and auto down, it should not cause this problem.
If theres no water you may need a new door ecu.
let me know what you find out.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator

Audi's have no door ecu's. Everything is run from the central locking system. You need to find a VAG and check the codes for the Central Locking module.