Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Wiper Help!!!

hey guys... 2000 a4 1.8t

here's my luck, its been nice and sunny the last week and when i plan to go up north it starts to rain... i woke up for work, turn my wipers on and there pooched...

here's what happens: i turn on the wipers, they go to the top of the windshield slowly, then they star to go down, they make it about half way and then stop. From there the wipers won't move, i have to manually turn the wipers on again and then push them down with my hand...

Anyone ever seen this before, have any idea of what to do???

still hoping i can fly to the cottage after work at 3pm, are my plans shot?

thanks guys

romes

Old 06-04-2005, 11:38 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wiper Help!!!

so i did a search on this problem and came up with maybe a fuse, but i'm thinking it can't cuz they wouldn't move at all if the fuse was blown, no? maybe the linkage or something, has to be greased maybe? or if its the motor? that would just suck, those must be pricey... figures this has to happen the week i come back from vacation...

Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

Either the brushes on the motor are going, or the linkage is binding and needs to be lubricated. Do the latter first.

Can't be fuse as they would not work at all.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

alright, so how would one go about lubricating the linkage? i can honestly say i have no idea what the linkage is...

Old 06-04-2005, 12:18 PM
5th Gear

Ooooh its a pain in the *** my friend. I went through it a while ago... it's no picnic. Umm...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/

However, buy some rain-X, plaster your windshield with the stuff... and go to your cottage. I drove to Toronto and back with no wipers, in a pretty good rainstorm... rain-x is really good stuff. The only time you have some difficulty, is when you start going slower than like 60 km/h

Old 06-04-2005, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

ya theres an idea... i'll prolly just jump over to cdn tire and pick some of that stuff up... gonna have to get that looked at when i get back... good call dude...

what did u have to end up doin about your wiper problem???

Old 06-04-2005, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

wow, looked over that link your put in your last post... not sure i wanna even bother with it

Old 06-04-2005, 12:38 PM
5th Gear

Its definately a PITA to fix the wipers... but I mean... when you say "not even bother" ... your options are limited You can buy all new linkage.. for hundreds of dollars... but installing it will be pretty much the same deal as this one.

THe key here, is to try it SOON... if you can get linkage out in one piece, your golden... but, if they are completely seized, and your unable to move the linkage with your hands... then you wont be able to get it out in one piece... and its annoying to re-install.

My wipers still sit higher than they should.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:39 PM
5th Gear

where do you live, and where is your cottage?

Old 06-04-2005, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

i live in mississauga and the cottage is just north of barrie, prolly an hour drive... looks like i'm gonna have to wait till it stops raining to add the rain-x

Quick Reply: Wiper Help!!!