AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   WTF (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/wtf-18786/)

///A4 10-27-2005 04:48 AM

WTF

ok i have a 97 1.8t quattro and in the dash there are four lights that can come on btw the gauges. the gas one and 3 other ones but this one light keeps comin on wenever i turn or brake. its red and looks a like a thermometer. but im not sure wut is and i dont' have a manual.
pls tell me ASAP

///A4 10-27-2005 04:54 AM

RE: WTF

?

russianari 10-27-2005 04:58 AM

maybe its your coolant level, your car might be just a little low and when you turn or slow down the sensor picks up that its low.

///A4 10-27-2005 05:01 AM

and how do i solve this problem?

///A4 10-27-2005 05:02 AM

can there b a leak? and how much would it b to fix if its leaking

///A4 10-27-2005 05:04 AM

?

russianari 10-27-2005 05:15 AM

1.open hood
2. look inside
3. locate coolant / antifreeze reseviour container.
4. look at the level
5. if low follow these insturctions:
a. dont panic
b. look at the cap does it say something like g12+ and what color is it, green or pinkish orangish
c. if green get antifreeze if pinkish orange go to audi or vw and get antifreeze
d. fill to proper level
6. if it will leak out, i would assume that you would notice white smoke and a sweet smell from your exhaust or a puddle on the ground, see where its leaking from, a hose is a few dollars, a clamp is like 50 cents and a radiator is like $200 to $500, a cracked block is a lot. it is doubtful that its a cracked block or radiator, and its not unusual to be low on antifreeze on occasion.
good luck

///A4 10-27-2005 05:16 AM

fuck something is leakin in the back of my engine. it's dried up and its like yellowish white. WTF is this!?

russianari 10-27-2005 05:18 AM

it might be antifreeze, maybe a new gasket... go to a mechanic if it keeps on leaking

///A4 10-27-2005 05:27 AM

its leaking where the hose is connected to the engine and it blinks more often. worst comes to worst what is the worst thing that could happen? and how muc would it b

russianari 10-27-2005 05:35 AM

well, if you do nothing and run your car without coolant you will probably overheat and blow the f*cker, it'll take you a while to do this tho. take it one step at a time, see how low the coolant is in the reseviour, see where the hose is cracked, which is what we'll assume the problem is, and replace it. a new hose a like 5 - 15$, maybe 25$ at audi. and youll need 2 new clamps, ~ 1.00$. if you do nothing and run it until it overheats and blows, i think new 1.8 turbos are going for like 5 -8k.

///A4 10-27-2005 05:40 AM

holy shit! im only 17! don't wanna end up driving my moms ride

russianari 10-27-2005 05:44 AM

yo calm done, i understand that you just fit (involuntary sh*t), but listen, check the level and a hose is cheap, you'll be fine.... unless you are a very special person you are not gonna blow your motor. if its low fill it up and if it continues to leak out change the hose. you'll be fine, luckily its only a hose - and its only a car.

sandman 10-27-2005 05:49 AM

this means either youre overheating or your level is too low. if your level is low check anf fill it with G12. be cautious though and keep an eye out because technically you shouldnt loose any fluid unless theres a leak somewhere. keep an eye out for under your car if theres leaks there this is a good thing because this means the leak is in a hose somewhere. if you remove your skid plate this will expose your lower radiator hose check this one first because lower hoses are prone to go first (closer to road elements). but first check that fluid level, if its not low then its a sensor prob. check your oil, i repeat check your oil, if it looks milky or discolored you have a prob (if you cant tell post a pic and we can help). if the oil looks fine then theres really nothing to worry about, hoses are cheap and very easy to relplace.

///A4 10-27-2005 06:01 AM

so if it's leakin all i need to replace r the hoses right?

sandman 10-27-2005 06:03 AM

yes, read my post above i just edited it, hope this helps.

///A4 10-27-2005 06:12 AM

and how long can i leave this even tho ur not supposed to. i jus wanna kno the time span

sandman 10-27-2005 06:19 AM

check the oil, if its milky stop driving NOW (you have a leak in your head gasket!!). if not just fill your antifreze up and you could drive for as long as you want, you will just need to continously fill the fluid but g12 is expensive and its the only thing you can use. just keep an eye on the temp and youll be good. but if its a hose theres really no reason not to fix it. its easy and cheap.

Karl 10-27-2005 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ///A4

can there b a leak? and how much would it b to fix if its leaking

umm it will be approximately 178.32 plus tax

WTF, seriously how are we supposed to know the price.. Take it to a mechanic

TomRitt 10-27-2005 03:48 PM

rofl

Yuikio 10-27-2005 03:51 PM

Yeah, don't panic. And the price will vary from place to place.

gregp1962 10-27-2005 04:54 PM

You can put distilled water in the reservoir to see if the light on the dash light goes off. If it keeps leaking, you can put more water in. But eventually, it will have all water and no coolant. (It should usually be 50/50 water and coolant.) The car will usually run fine on all water. But, it's not good for it. And, if it freezes, you could crack the block.

If it is leaking, see if you can find the leak. Hopefully it is a hose. Try tightening the hose clamp first. they usually can tighten with a screwdriver. Once you get the leak fixed, drain the water and refill with half coolant, half distilled water.

Don't drive if;

There is no coolant or water in the reservoir

The oil is milky colored