Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

You should be able to do the same thing with the push button. Push button to shut off engine, remove foot from brake (make sure parking brake is set), push start button, you should see all your dash lights come on.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

The problem with mine is that after around 1,000kms I have to add a litre of oil because the low oil light comes on. It's annoying but AUDI has said that it's normal. My dad said that they figured out in the 50's how to stop making cars burn oil and it's ridiculous that AUDI says this is normal.

My fear is that what if after my car is off warranty the engine blows because it's been low on oil numerous times?

Should I be going to consumer affairs or be approaching AUDI North America?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear
Default A5 Excess Oil Consumption

Hi Ryan,
I purchased a fully optioned brand new A5 convertable. It has had to go back for oil top ups EVERY 6 WEEKS!!!!! yes - every 6 weeks!!!
I checked the manual and i drive within the specified kilometers, not in dusty areas, dont idle the car much etc etc etc. Im actually a very normal and boring driver.

The first time i took the car back for oil, which was about 6 weeks after it was delivered brand new, they told me it needs more oil in the first year as its a new car (im totally gullable to rubbish from service centre staff).

Now that ive had the car 14 months and have had it back 10 times ive been told "its a known fault that this car goes through a lot of oil. My car is not as bad as others". wow - that makes me feel better.

Well ive now completly lost interest in my car that has a 17 page service history. Luckily i live in Australia and we have the Trade Practices Act. This car is not of Merchantible Quality.

I wrote to Audi, then rang twice. no response!!

So - i handed this to my extrememly competent lawyers and are seeking to recind the contract and get a full refund.

Bugger them!! its a car not a lawn mower - im not putting oil in a new car every 6 weeks!!!

Good luck

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Oil Warning Light Dissappeared! & NRMA independent Test

Hi Peeps!

I purchased an A4 2L TSFI in Sept 10. Among other issues, my major problem is that I have had to get my oil topped up 4 times already and my oil warning light just came back on at 7577km! (Audi Service did say to me that some cars consume extra oil while running in as the oil they use initially is thinner)

On top of this, I've been told by passing motorists that my exhaust emits blue/black/grey smoke every time I accelerate!!! My exhaust tips are like charcoal!!

Audi said that they will do an Oil Consumption Test after doing 5000km.
They did Stage 1 at 5300km and I was told to do a min of 1000km and come back to do stage 2.

I called NRMA (In Australia) who advised me to get an independent report and gave me details for a reputed Euro car mechanic who I visited today and asked them to go through the whole car but not add any oil as I have booked into the Stage 2 of the Oil Consumption test with Audi tomorrow.

The report says there is excessive reading of Hydrocarbon. It's at 260PPM when it should be around 50PPM! Says further intensive tests are required on the engine to find the cause. (Would be a very expensive exercise if it were not under warranty!) All other readings were normal.

Now, my problem is that when I picked the car up, my oil waring lamp had disappeared!! Every other time, the warning stayed on until the oil was topped up - but the mechanics insist that they did not add any oil to it. My MMI screen shows that the oil level is zero (actually, the bar is just empty).

the Oil Waring came on on Saturday (now Wednesday) and I have never left it this long without topping it up so I’m wondering if the warning lamp went off automatically after this extended time period and will re-appear soon, if it turned off because the mechanics hooked the car up to the diagnostic machine for the tests or if the mechanics accidently topped up the oil and won’t admit it...

I was advised not to tell Audi about my independent report until they give me theirs so I can compare the two but if the mechanics added oil, I will have to tell Audi as it will obviously affect the Stage 2 reading!

Can someone please help?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM
1st Gear
Default hi Gabriel

Well, my advice to you is to go to your Lawyer and return the car under the Trade Practices Act - Merchantible quality.

I am.

And feel free to email me if you want to join this action.

I have had the car 15 months and have to take it back every 5-6 weeks for oil. Please read my previous post.

Kind Regards

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

@a5cabmel, I certainly am considering going down that path! My car is in with Audi Services at this very moment. They said the Warning lights should stay on refardless so they are checking for a fault with that tol.
Will be interesting to see what their report will say!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

Hi All,

Well, I picked up my car on Thursday afternoon and the service rep said "it failed the test" Really???? He couldn’t give me a report on the day of their findings, said that it wasn't on letterhead and would email it to me the next day. (Still haven’t received it!).

Said the normal consumption was .5L per 1000km and mine was .96L per 1000km (almost double) and that the smoke bellowing out of my exhaust was related to the oil consumption issue.

Called on Friday to chase up my report and to cut a long, frustrating story short, they can’t provide a report until the work has been completed - which they said would take 3-4weeks as they have to order the parts from Germany!!

I am a sales rep so explained that image is important to my clients and am sick of driving a car with smoke coming out the back of my brand new car, not to mention the embarrassment it causes to me on the road when fellow motorists stop me to advise that I have smoke coming out the back and to top it off, get pulled over by the Police for it too! Anyway, the service managers' response to that was something to the effect of "sorry, I can’t give you a loan car, the car is safe to drive and the problems will be fixed after we finish with it, here's the Audi Customer Service number" and proceeds to give me their 'Road Side Assistance number!!!

Needless to say, I didn't get anywhere with them either as they can't 'force' the dealership to do anything but they will "stay with the case until it's resolved" (thanks for the company mate!), so called the Sales Manager yesterday who said he would get service to email me something with their findings from Thursday and would have to refer to Audi Australia about getting a loan car. Let’s see how long this will take...

In the mean time, I will be writing all involved a letter asking for a replacement car and if I don't get a satisfactory response I will go to Fair Trading. Everyone is advising me to go to the media but I want to give them a chance first even tho I feel they are certainly not sympathetic at all and I have had it!!

I've paid almost $80K for a brand new car that has seen me at the service centre EVERY SINGLE MONTH WITHOUT FAIL, it's been on a Tow Truck after just 2000km as the spark plug fouled and has any other little things go wrong like a failing MMI screen in hot weather (had to stop the car, turn off ignition, wait 5 mins and the re-start in order for it to work again!), passanger side mirror popping out etc. That's not even getting into the amount of stress, embarrasment and inconvenience it's caused! Not what you would expect after buying a prestige vehicle is it??

Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

sounds like you need to go to another dealer. and if your car is smoking like crazy sounds like your piston rings are shot or your valve seals aren't sealing. the only oil issues i've seen with the new 2.0 is the pcv valve not working and it pressuring your engine causing oil to blow out past the oil fill cap.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 AM
1st Gear

@ fastcompany, thanks so much for ur input I really appreciate it and would have been very helpful but at this point I'm beyond caring about the cause. I wrote a letter of complaint & sent registered post to the MD of Audi Aust. requesting a replacement & emailed a copy to customer service & sales & service managers. That was on Friday. On Saturday, the car started shaking while I was driving & the engine warning light came on!!! 'Infuriated' was an understatement!! As luck would have it, wasn't far from the dealer so called the Sales Manager, drove it there (very slowly). Was so close to loosing the plot in front of all the customers at the showroom but somehow managed to hold myself together & told him relatively calmly that i I don't want it back!!! The whole place stunk of whatever is coming out of the exhausts, hydrocarbon fumes. He gave me a loan car for the weekend & now will be showtime tomorrow... The service manager told me the car was safe to drive!! This has gone beyond ridiculous!! 2nd time I've broken down now (I haven't even done 8,000km yet) & if I was anywhere else, it would have been back on a tow truck! My streak continues, month 8 in a row of visiting the service centre. Enough is enough!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Update... The pistons need to be replaced (still haven't received the report I was promised though!)

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?