Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

HELP - 2.0T engine with crackling noise from underside

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Here's a link to the A5 owners club thread, feel free to join:

2.0T stock exhaust issues- owners please step inside - A5_OC

Monkey- I doubt they would do a recall since it's not a safety issue and apparently doesn't effect operation, but they do need to right this situation and create a TSB for it.

Last edited by Krazy; 07-18-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Krazy
Here's a link to the A5 owners club thread, feel free to join:

2.0T stock exhaust issues- owners please step inside - A5_OC

Monkey- I doubt they would do a recall since it's not a safety issue and apparently doesn't effect operation, but they do need to right this situation and create a TSB for it.

Agree with you there Krazy! I'll also be sure to join your other Forum posting.

By the way, I called Audi Customer Care today after I saw UltimateTan's message. The person I spoke with said there is no documented cases of exhaust issues with the 2012 Audi A5 and there are no bulletins or records indicating that a fix is scheduled to roll out.

UltimateTan: When you called Audi, how did you describe the problem to them to document the case in their records? Perhaps I'm just contacting someone that may not know about that specific model. Any help you can provide would be appreciated so that I can add my name to the official Audi list.

My car is going back in to the shop yet again tomorrow for the middle muffler replacement. Start the clock ticking tomorrow evening... two weeks. I'll keep you all posted as this saga continues. If this isn't the fix, the car is beginning to look more and more yellow every day. If I get in it to drive to the repair facility and it smells like citrus , that's the end for me.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

hi..i explained the problem just the way i have it written. I sent an email to the audi customer care person that's i spoke to 2 months ago and asking for an update. will let you know what i hear back.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Day 1 of repair - exhaust system noise still there!

Well, i picked up my car from the repair facility this evening. I drove all of 9 miles home, got out of the car and listened. Low and behold, the noises in the exhaust system are still there and the car still makes the metallic rattling sound when closing the trunk.

So, did I beat all the other records for the problem returning? Same day!

If there are any other Audi fans out there and are considering the Audi A4 or A5, I would suggest you wait until Audi fixes this design problem with their models.

For those that are experiencing the same problem, we must unite to get Audi to fix the issue. Call their customer support number 1-800-822-AUDI (2834) and report the problem. We must unite to get Audi to recognize this as a problem and find a solution!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Recordings of my Audi A5

I took a few minutes to make recordings of my Audi A5 after approximately 15 minutes of driving. Much like others, we continue to ask Audi for a fix to this problem. For a $40k+ car, this is unacceptable.

If any Audi A5 owners know how to fix the problem or know of a repair center that can fix this problem, please chime in. For those also experiencing the same problem in their brand new cars, call Audi of America and report it. It is up to us to let Audi know this is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Possible fix: First day I haven't heard the rattle since I purchased the car!

All:

I'm writing to report that I found a dealer that was able to fix the problem with the Audi A5 rattle. Granted this is day 1 of the repair, however, things look quite promising right now. I've never heard my car run that quiet before either!

To share what took place, the first dealer I went to replaced (which didn't fix anything):
8T0-253-409 Muffler Qty (1)
1K0-253-141-P Clamp Qty (2)

The dealer I took my car to this week replaced (which appears to fix the problem):
8K0-253-102-B Pipe Qty (1)
8K0-253-115 Gasket Qty (1)
N-911-308-01 Nut Qty (3)

Amazingly, the replacement of those three recent parts had my car purring the way an Audi should be. I've already driven it for 2 hours after the repairs and things are still going well.

Believe me, I will report back with any findings and updates for everyone following this thread.

If others go to a dealer and have them replace the parts, please provide feedback to everyone reading here. This will be a good way for us to gauge how well the fix is working.

Also, if anyone needs the name of the service center in the Washington, D.C. metro area that fixed my car, post a message and I'll get back to you.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone else have an update?

Since this thread has been quiet for a whole, I figured I would post and update.

I have now had my A5 back from the shop for approximately 350 miles since the repair. How many miles have others driven before experiencing the problem again?

Any other updates about other repairs that seemed to also fix the problem?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
1st Gear
Default It's back!

Well guys, it was too good to be true. The rattle is back. Approximately 500 miles since the repair was made 3 weeks ago.

The current state of my car is that the rattle can be heard when closing the trunk after driving the car for about 15 minutes. The car left idling after a 15 minute drive only has the faint rattle noise right now but I suspect it will be coming back in full force within the next several days to weeks.

I've already left a message with Audi of America and am waiting to hear back from them soon.

Does anyone else have an update or a story about this problem with their A4 or A5?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Its wonderful..really your thread is really very good and I appreciate it. You gave so nice info which is very well and amazing. I really impressed by your thread.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Hey everyone, I am the guy who uploaded the first link "audi a5 noise.wmv" ... I bought the 2012 A5 last Nov and didn't notice the noise until like two months later, I got off the car and left the engine on ...

I've also gone to the dealership several times and got almost the same answers:
1. They cannot reproduce it
2. Nothing much they can do about it

I still keep hearing this annoying crackling noise. Any progress with you guys? Is the problem resolved? Any feedback from Audi care group? Really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: HELP - 2.0T engine with crackling noise from underside