Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 2.7T Slow oil leak from filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default 01 2.7T Slow oil leak from filter

So I changed the oil for the first time in our high mileage 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and after applying the Mann Oil Filter (with a small amount of oil to the gasket), filling with around 7 qts of Mobil 1 Syn... there appears to be a very slow leak from the oil filter gasket. Anyone ever had this problem? I hate to have to drain the oil out considering I just put $45 worth of oil in it.

Any suggestion?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM

The leak may be coming from the gasket between the engine and the oil cooler, instead of from the oil filter gasket. Check that your filter is hand tight.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 6605stang
So I changed the oil for the first time in our high mileage 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and after applying the Mann Oil Filter (with a small amount of oil to the gasket), filling with around 7 qts of Mobil 1 Syn... there appears to be a very slow leak from the oil filter gasket. Anyone ever had this problem? I hate to have to drain the oil out considering I just put $45 worth of oil in it.

Any suggestion?
Are you 100% sure it's the filter that's leaking? Maybe something is leaking down onto it. I had a valve cover leak that would drip down onto the filter.

Threw me off when I went to change the oil filter. I initially thought the same thing as you. Turns out it was a V C gasket.

How did yo tighten the filter? By hand or with a wrench?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
The leak may be coming from the gasket between the engine and the oil cooler, instead of from the oil filter gasket. Check that your filter is hand tight.
That little O-ring between the cooler and engine almost caused me to loose a motor --- But thats another story..

fI you used a bit of oil on the filter gasket and made sure the surface was clean I'd try to tighten the filter a bit more. I usually give it about a 1/3 turn once the gasket seats.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear

^^^ everyone + 1
Since buying the car last year I changed the oil two times - Mann Extended Life filters. Both times I tightened them by hand and had/have no leaking issues.
As the guys said, recheck the filter for tightness or look elswhere for the leak.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

So mann oil filters are required?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Thank you all for your replies. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I think I found the problem.

I generally do not put oil in the filter before replacing it, but this time I figured I start and may have put a bit too much in so that when I tilted it sideways to spin it on, a little must have dripped out beyond the gasket before it sealed. I probably wiped off a total of about 3-4 droplets (with none dropping on the ground) and now it's not coming any more. I think what I was seeing was probably just the spillage before the gasket sat.

I did hand tighten the filter, but I tightened it very hand tight. Probably more than I should have, but I thought it was leaking.

And I don't think Mann filters are required, but I'm super paranoid of repairs on this thing so I decided to use the same air and oil filters that car has been used to its whole life.

And to those speaking of other leaks, I'm pretty certain it wasn't something else leaking as the underside is virtually oil free so it doesn't look like there has ever been any prior leakage or blowoff.

Thanks all for the replies and sorry for wasting your time. I feel like an idiot for not realizing what it was until now.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

I wouldn"t say that Mann filters are required but they are all I use because I have heard horror stories when people use something else.. I once heard some say that it was OK to use any filter on a Audi as long as it was black.

Chefro - Painting a yellow Penzoil filter black is not allowed!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 AM
3rd Gear

Actually I painted black a Motorcraft filter, since it is about the same size as a Mann extended... SHHHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Actually I painted black a Motorcraft filter, since it is about the same size as a Mann extended... SHHHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone!

Motorcraft?? from Fix Or Repair Daily?? You certainly like to live dangerously!

Quick Reply: 01 2.7T Slow oil leak from filter