Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-02 s6 loosing coolant periodically -system checked tight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
1st Gear
Default -02 s6 loosing coolant periodically -system checked tight.

Dear all,

I bought my first audi just a little while ago. It is a fantastic car, despite that I have one problem with it:
I loose coolant.
Always afew days after I refilling the coolant to the level required, I find a big puddle underneath the car and the coolant level has dropped considerably below minimum. which I obviously notice on the display when I start the car.
The car was being serviced by Audi the week before last and they compression checked the system tight.

All ideas appreciated?!?!!!

PS:forgot to mention: car has got a very slight kiss at some point to the front. Enough that there is a small crack on the bumper and the radiator is very slightly bent. However, as far as I understand that this should not be the reason for loosing the coolant as the system was checked thight and the leaking is periodical. Right???

Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: -02 s6 loosing coolant periodically -system checked tight.

Get it checked again...if coolant is leaking, the system is not "tight." If your radioator got bent, soemthing else might be out of place or not sealed properly. Don't screw around with this. Coolant is kind of important! Maybe try a different shop?

Old 02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. The odd thing is that the coolant is not disappearing little by little but you are right, I might have ty try another shop.

Any other ideas?

Could there be any valves or so which could dump out "excess" due to some false settings?? or any other things which could be faulty and cause the system leak only now and then??

BTW, forgot to tell that the car is an euro modell as I am in Germany. but do not speak German yet so easier to get help here... I hope.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. My coolant was all gone so I just added more (the wrong kind). This created air in the coolant system which is bad. When air is in your system (so I have been told) the pressure is too great and it creates leaks especially if you do not use the Audi coolant. I suggest first bleeding the system yourself with the Audi coolant and see if it happens again. That worked for me, the stealrship was going to charge me 105 just to diagnos the problem and over the phone they told me (BEFORE I BROUGHT THE CAR IN) that it would be a complicated issue and they would need a whole day. Well, I bled the system...problem solved. I would say go that route first then see what happens.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Boston Driver

Get it checked again...if coolant is leaking, the system is not "tight." If your radioator got bent, soemthing else might be out of place or not sealed properly. Don't screw around with this. Coolant is kind of important! Maybe try a different shop?
Boston, what does the coolant do in the weather we have been having lately. When it was giving me the coolant symbol a few weeks ago everything still ran fine and the temp gauge never went above normal.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 PM

sounds like water pump to me it mostly dumps the coolant when the engine has stopped to relieve the pressure

Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

sounds like water pump to me it mostly dumps the coolant when the engine has stopped to relieve the pressure
Is that what is fixed when you bleed the system? Basically creating the right amount of pressure.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 PM

not at all mate, when the car is running and heat gets in the cabin this tells you the system is working and when no heat it says air in system plus much more,

if its working properly and there is heat then requiring top ups then its a pressure release from the pump but only losses coolant when engine idle to dump pressure rather than pressure blowing the cylinder head gasket but without actually being there this is only an idea as to the problem

Old 02-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Ozz
1st Gear

Boston Driver is 100% correct, no miracles here - check everything again and again before your engine is gone. If you have a leak that means something is definitely wrong.

I would check radiator, most probably due to thetempreture expansion you have a crack that opens a bit when coolant is hot.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Boston driver could be right but if there was a leak in the radiator it would leak all the time with engine running so the problem would be obvious because easily seen

Quick Reply: -02 s6 loosing coolant periodically -system checked tight.