Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04' Audi A6 3.0L - Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 04' Audi A6 3.0L - Issues

I Just purchased a Used 2004 Audi A6 3.0L with 76,000 Miles on itfrom dealership, and are noticing problems already.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much or there is really something wrong with this car.

Here is what I notice:

When I'm crusing at a normal speed like 40-50mph and I just am slightly giving the car gas, to stay at that speed, the car kind of stutters alot and shakes. On top of that - I Feel like the car's power has been robbed somehow . maybe these are related?

When I open the hood while engine is running, I hear a constant smack in 2 second intervals (Maybe alternator belt?) It doesn't sound right.

The car is shaking on easy gasing and not really going anywhere until I press the pedal PAST the low position, where you reach resistance, and then push the pedal ALL the way down. Then it speeds up, but it takes a few seconds to read.

Does anybody know what I should try to get fixed on this car, by the above problems?

Thank you in advance - Other then thatThe audi is a smooth, very very nice ride!

-Rocco

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 04' Audi A6 3.0L - Issues

Hey, Rocco, welcome to the madness of Audi. Sorry to hear about the issues with the stutters and shakes, this is not normal.
Did you get at least some kind of warranty ? Take it back to the dealer, this could be expensive to fix.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Site Moderator

Im guessing you have a CVT transmission? Not quattro.
Sounds like problems with the CTV, take it back to the dealer.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Yes I have the normal 3.0L Non-Quattro.

I bought it from a Honda Dealership - Should I take it to a Audi Dealership or back to Honda?

I Pay an extra 150$ a month on the bill for the 2 Year PowerTrain Warrenty and Honda Maintenance Plan which I think only includes services and things of that nature. The powertrain warrenty says it's covers the Transmission as well -but does this only become effective if there is a complete faliure, or should this cover "Not Functioning Correctly" repairs as well?

Thanks for the help - My first time owning a Audi. Thanks Again

Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Site Moderator

Like i always say, there is a reason somebody gets rid of thier car. Since you bought it from the honda dealer you should hold them responsible for the repairs it needs, have honda flip the bill from the audi dealership. Its gonna be a CVT issue. There are several TSB's (Technical service bulletins) to repair certain issues with them.
Some are lack of power, others are bucking, RPM's bouncing while cruising and lack of power (which is what yours is) and other things.

It may need a complete trans re-build or a new trans altogether, it depends on what year it is.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

Will the Powertrain Warrenty Cover just Not Running correctly Problems with the car - or only if it completly fails? I would like them to fix these problems, but am low on cash after the 5k Down Payment

Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Site Moderator

It should, they have tests at the audi dealership to see if the tranny is bad. They don't have to remove it or anything to tell if its bad.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Get this: I call Audi to schedule a appointment to get it diagnosed. The guy said the problems I've explained are Normal, and no other transmission drives like the CVT Audi Does... I did some research. I found threads with over 80 posts all containing the same problems I've described - and Fixed the've used to better their Audi's...

So Far Everyone says the

7 Plate Clutch Upgrade
and
A newMultitronic Gearbox

fixes their ride.. Does this sound right? If So, tommarow I'm going in and demanding they upgrade my car - covered under 30 day dealer warrenty. Thank you guys!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah they always say that because they don't want anything to do with them, you have to raise hell which is stupid.

Yeah the TSB states depending on the year it will either get a upgraded clutch pack to a 6 plate (not a 7 plate) gear box, or you get a new gear box altogether.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Ok I took the car into the Audi Dealership today for my inspection appointment - I told the technician before he took the keys that the car shudders and I even showed him a paper I had with the TSB #'s on it, and the 6 plate clutch and gearbox upgrades. He said he'd look at it and hook it up to their computers. A Hour later I return and they have a list of things that are important for me to get fixed. These are what they could find

A New Fan Motor Controller Unit- (Why I have been hearing clicking)
+
New Break Pads for Front Wheels.
+
Tire Alignment
+
4 New Tires

Thats It . No Clutch Plate or Gearbox Upgrades - Nothing. I didn't even get to talk to the Tech afterwards and ask him why he didnt recommened these upgrades - I was stuck with the Receptionist and the $58 Inspection bill. However, the good news is they cleaned and waxed my car - Wow Expensive Car Wash.

I will have to accept the fact my Audi is not smooth on acceleration I guess, and bumps around. Honda said they would pay for the Fan Motor that is $600.00 . Atleast we got one problem out of the way, Oh well. Maybe my next Audi (hopefully a 2010 Audi S5) will be built correctly in the first place. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 04' Audi A6 3.0L - Issues