Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 A6 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear
Default 06 A6 Battery Drain

Hello All,
My name is Ryan Webb and I recently aquired a 2006 A6 sedan quattro S-Line with a 6 speed tiptronic transmission. The car is bright red and I just finished compounding and polishing it today but when I went to start the car it would not start. I checked the battery level meter through the MMI and it was dead. The issueis that this is the 3rd or 4th time it has happened this week. My dad and I figured that it may have been becasue of the comfort access key the first couple of times so we have been moving the key out of the garage and leaving it in the kitchen which is probably 50ft or more from the car. The first couple of times we were also able to charge the battery enough to start the car and let the car recharge the battery. This afternoon when the battery died we were able to get the car restated after chargeing the battery some but now the battery does not seem to be charging anymore and the battery level indicator stills says that the batter is very low and it has been running for almost 45 minutes. Any suggestions?
Also, the car did not come with any manuels and I am looking for some of those.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear

It maybe the time for a new battery.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking that as well, but the battery charger that we have says that the battery is fully charged. Also, the traction control light has come on. Does anyone know why that would have come on?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear
Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for the advice. Hopefully it will be simple and not real expensive like ya'll are saying. I checked witht a local auto parts guy at Auto Zone and first he tried to argue with me that the battery was under then hood and then he said that it was probably the altenator and that to replace the altenator the frond end and a fender had to be taken off. Lets hope he is as right about that as he was the battery being under the hood.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
3rd Gear

If you can get it started again, drive to an Autozone (or equivalent). I know Autozone will test the battery and charging system for free. It's a quick and painless way to at least eliminate the battery as the culprit, since it is ~5 years old. BTW, I am still running my oem battery (181k miles), so they can be pretty good.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

I started a "similar" thread "06 A6 Start Problems", having ongoing issues with my non-Audi purchased and installed battery, didn't drive for ONE DAY and now can't even unlock the doors, half of the dash indicator lights are ON, and now the key is stuck in the ignition... had theses problems only if the vehicle isn't driven once every 24 hours... LAME!!!
But my problem (one of them... maybe?... ha!) is that the battery was never installed and CODED at the dealer... d@mn internal battery management software...

Good luck!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

If you go back to the same parts store, try talking to someone else! The last guy you talked to was an idiot. The first thing to do is to check all of the wire connections at the battery and at the alternator. It could be as simple as a loose wire not letting the battery fully charge. When you get it running again, have a parts store run a diagnostic on the battery and the charging system. Hope you get it figured out.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Hi everybody. I recently encountered the exact same issue. I bought an Audi A6 2006. If I don't drive the car every 48 hours it will not start the following day. It is happening more frequently in the cold weather. The battery is new and not the issue. If I get the battery jumped it will start up immediately but without fail it will be dead after sitting still. So I checked out some other forums and one user said that his/her battery was drained by the 6 CD changer. That system was eating up about 80% of the standby battery power. So the user had his CD changer disconnected and it seemed to solve the problem. I am taking it in in the morning to figure this out but hoping that a simple change to the CD changer will solve the issue. Ryan, did you ever determine what was draining the battery so much? Anyone else have insight into the issue?

Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

I haven't heard of the CD changer being such an energy hog, but I'll have to look into that one.
I had my NEW battery (interstate brand) purchased and installed and CODED at the dealer last weekend... and she starts, but sluggish, and the temps haven't been around freezing for a couple weeks, and I've been driving her at least once a day... interesting... We'll see what happens if I don't drive for a couple days this weekend...
If I have a problem then there's definitely a case building for the car/components being the problem and NOT the battery...

Quick Reply: 06 A6 Battery Drain