Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17125 TC stuck off code again

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default 17125 TC stuck off code again

I know this has been the topic of alot of disscusion already, but I would like to get a general concensus on the repair. My 03 A6 3.0 Tip threw the 17125 code a couple weeks ago. The car has 85k on it, so initialy I opted to do a trans service on it. This was easy enough with vcds and the pump. The fluid that came out was very dark but no burn smell or evidence of trouble. The car performs perfect through all of the gears and in tip mode no slipping or odd noises. However, after about 200 miles the CEL came back on. I hooked it up and had the 17125 code again. Searching the forum and net it seems that the TC failure in un-avoidable. Except for the possibility that the speed sensor that reads the TC is failing, and this can possibly correct itself when the TC is changed. The speed sensor is a cheap and easy fix, which I would prefer, but I would also prefer a $1,500 TC to a $3,000 trans.

The question is at 85k do you think its worth rolling the dice on the sensor for a few weeks and see if the code stays away, or just write the check and be done with it. Thank you all in advance for your input.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I dunno, it was my impression that they (Audi) had fixed majority of the TC issues post in the post 2001 models. That of course doesn't mean that your TC isn't causing your issue. You stated that you aren't having any "symptoms" of a problem, just throwing the code? Fluid levels are OK? Could possibly be a "sensor" problem or the N94 or N218 valves. or maybe an issue with your TCM.

if you can't narrow it down and it continues not exhibiting any shifting problems you could always ignore it and hope it goes away?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

If I had this code, I would get the TC replaced and be done with it. As the seal failure allows the TC to slip (which is what is setting the code), it will get worse and the slippage will cause friction material contamination in the fluid, 10 micron particles or smaller flowing all over the tranny. Be sure you are getting a rebuilt TC with updated seals so you won't get this again.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

To put this thread to bed, I decided to just replace the TC. My local Indy shop did it for me. When he had the trany out they pulled the valve body and inspected and cleaned the solenoids etc. He charged me $1,200.00 for everything and did a great job. No codes shifts perfect. Now I can sleep at night and only worry about the timing belt.