Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17800/P1392/005010 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 17800/P1392/005010 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus

i have redone my timingbelt and i have a code:
17800 Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus
P1392 - 35-00--

can this code come if there is a bad timing or is it some other problem?

tnx!!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear

Most likely from bad timing...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:35 PM

i am interested to know how you resolve this problem. as Hxgaser who tried all he could to guide me through can testify on behalf . this was and probably still is an issue i am facing. after changing my belt, followed by a series of redos, the car just kept coding CMP short to what ever, i did change the the sensor but got no positive out come. i finally gave up and have been using the car with this code. the car runs just fine.the fuel consumption is right about 24mpg and i have put aprox 10000miles with this code hoping to find a solution at a later time.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

Hi all
I invested in a VaG cable and software today. Unit worked perfect gave me all the error code etc.... 1 of which was a

G163 Camshaft position sensor - Implausible Signal P0346 - 008 .

I have no idea what this means, I changed 1 of the 4 cam sensors, but made no difference, so done another diagnostic test and now believe it could be the exhaust CPS, as the 1 shown in the picture. I don’t believe this is an A6 3.0 engine though, does any1 know where this unit fits and have pictures or diagrams?

Rgds
Sunny

Attached Thumbnails 17800/P1392/005010 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus-bank2b.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

did you recently do your timing belt or cam seals maybe? it sounds like you have the timing off on the cams. the problem is probably on the drivers side bank it is easy to be off one tooth because the timing mark on the intake cam is in the middle of a tooth rather than in the valley of the tooth. if you need more info on this do a search of my posts and you will find a better explanation or pm me with questions.

The pic you show is a cam position sensor and since your getting the implausable signal code that tells me that your sensors are working properly.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by padog
did you recently do your timing belt or cam seals maybe? it sounds like you have the timing off on the cams. the problem is probably on the drivers side bank it is easy to be off one tooth because the timing mark on the intake cam is in the middle of a tooth rather than in the valley of the tooth. if you need more info on this do a search of my posts and you will find a better explanation or pm me with questions.

The pic you show is a cam position sensor and since your getting the implausable signal code that tells me that your sensors are working properly.
Hey buddy, finally found someone who knows what the are talking about !!
I need to have the timming belt changed as the car has hit 77K, coudl be that then. Propably a good idea to have the belt changed first then see if the missing still arrures.

Padog, do you know of anyone who changes these belts, as its a 3.0 ASN engine, im getting stupid qoutes in the £900 + mark.

Thank mate, ill let you know how I get on.

Sunny

Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

I dont think I can help much with a repair shop as I am in the US and it sounds like your across the pond! But you should be able to find a competent indy repair shop to do the belt also have them check the timing on the cams to be sure they are not off as the code you are getting really sounds like your cams are out of time it will be cheaper to have them check this and make any repairs while they are doing the timing belt.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Sunny,

77k sounds a bit early for timing belt replacement. I think the Bentley says between 80k-105k miles?

Can you clarify something for me? Have you already done the replacement and you're getting this code? Or, do you feel as though you need to do the replacement because of the code?

I look forward to your answers.

v/r,
Paul

Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Khardysius
Sunny,

77k sounds a bit early for timing belt replacement. I think the Bentley says between 80k-105k miles?

Can you clarify something for me? Have you already done the replacement and you're getting this code? Or, do you feel as though you need to do the replacement because of the code?

I look forward to your answers.

v/r,
Paul
No matter what your Bently or even the owners manual says Audi has revised the service schedule of the timing belts to 75k most cars have a decal stating this on the under side of the hood. I bought my car at 88k and found that the belt was in terrible shape it was very near failure.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

I think bad timing would give you the "Implausible signal" error. The "Open Short to Plus" generally means a bad connection or a bad sensor. Since you just replaced your timing belt, I would reseat all the electrical connectors.

Good luck,

Bob

Quick Reply: 17800/P1392/005010 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus