Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 A6 2.8L

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A6 2.8L

Well i should have known not to mess with this but i ordered one of those 30dollar modules off ebay to see if it actually worked, i firgured id give it a shot and it arrived within a couple of days.. so i grabbed the instructions and put it in as they said. The car ran for a little bit but didnt do anything, i reverse the setup cause they said if it didnt work to reverse it and reset it.. i turn the key and its just turning over.. i just get rid of the module completely, bringing it back tot he stock setup and same thing.. every once in a while it tries to start.. and if i pull the intake tube off of the little black piece on the engine that it connects too and spray starting fluid in there it sputters a little.. so i know im getting spark. i checked my fuel line and its plenty of pressure and gas and whatnot.. so im thinking one of my air valves isnt working.. but then why is it trying and sputtering a little bit with starting fluid or if i try it a bunch every once in a while it sputters a little but no starting.. its a 2.8L BTW.. I have been working with cars for a while but im kinda stumped on this one.. I read somewhere the IAC valve might have something to do with it but i dont really know.. they looked pretty pricey as well..

Let me know if you have any ideas because i sure dont

and i dont really want to take it too a mechanic but if i have too i guess i will.. or get it towed there anyway

Thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 1997 A6 2.8L

UMM, you not giving any good information.
First off what module are you talking about?
Second, the very first thing you do when diagnosing a car is pull the fault codes, what are they?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

thats the module i got..

and fault codes, im guessing thats the diagnostic machine or something?? i dont have or know how to get those..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

sorry for the poor information.. usually dont ahve to deal with the forums lol.. this one has got me stumped though

Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah f(ck that thing, don't go cheap on something as important as engine mangement.
For fault codes go to autozone and they will pull the codes for you for free, post what the code is here and we can tell you what you need to do. A code will look like this "P0320"
If you want to get your own scan tool down load the VAG COM software onto your laptop www.ross-tech.com and buy a diagnostic cable so you can diagnose everything yourself.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

k.. i guess ill have to download that and stuff since the car doesnt run at all.. most of the time i know not to go cheap and what not but this one seemed legitiment and actually had good feedback.. Pisses me off.. oh well.. live and learn..

any other ideas while i get my hands on that cable??

Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Site Moderator

Well since you said it kinda wants to start with starter fluid, the 2.8L engine suffers from carbon build up from using low grade gas all the time.
Take off the intake tube to the throttle body and empty a can of carb clean while somebody is trying to floor the motor and or cranking it.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a good plan.. this car was just purchased and im going over it doing some mods to get some more power, i have a K&N genuine cold air intake coming in for it and im getting the exhaust redone, it has always seemed like it has lacked in power for a 2.8L but maybe thats just because im used to my GTI.. but then again my 07xterra beat it in a race so who knows.. i figured it will help but i will check out that throttle body.. the diagnostic cable was ordered so i guess ill just do cleaning things and such for now until that gets here..

If there are any other common problems like that, let me know

Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Yeah f(ck that thing, don't go cheap on something as important as engine mangement.
For fault codes go to autozone and they will pull the codes for you for free, post what the code is here and we can tell you what you need to do. A code will look like this "P0320"
If you want to get your own scan tool down load the VAG COM software onto your laptop www.ross-tech.com and buy a diagnostic cable so you can diagnose everything yourself.
Totally agreed that sh*t on ebay performance chips, modules, etc etc. they give me the heebie jeebies, and not the good kind of heebie jeebies either, the bad kind, like the kind you get when the hooker you just slept with tells you shes got the clap... [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

hahaha.. ill have to keep that in mind next time im scrolling down the ebay pages

Quick Reply: 1997 A6 2.8L