Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Audi A6 problems...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 AM
3rd Gear

you're welcome regarding the pics.

I don;t know what to say. The coolant shouldn't really push through anymore if it was properly bled. I would think that on longer trips the car would stay cooler due to the air flow throughout the engine bay.

You may still have some air pockets throughout the system. Was it really, gurgling, fizzing and steaming when you burped it by the rear pipe bleeder?
Did you finally tightened it back on when it just had a steady flow?
You may also not have the fans kicking in as the temp rises (as hcw said). Did you see them coming on after bleeding the system and as the temperature got hot?
Lastly, again as hcw pointed out (and you just mentioned it), you may indeed have a blown head gasket.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Well, I drained the oil from the engine and I see no signs of coolant in the oil so that rules out the head gasket I would say. The only explanation I can think of now is the water pump.

When I bled the system, chefro, there was a lot of air coming out of the rear main pipe bleeder like you said there would be. I immediately closed it as soon as a steady flow of coolant came out. Maybe I missed some air pockets??? However, the thermostat did kick the fans on for the first time in a while once the engine reached the threshold temp. So my thermostat and fans are working good.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

Does it still try to push through the expansion tank's cap and/or through the pressure relief hole/hose?

Anyway, it is a great thing you ruled out the head gaskets.
Based on what you did so far, I would say that you still may have air pockets. Try to open up the bleeder as many times as you need until the fizzing/hissing stops. All the air is out when you get a steady flow right away upon opening the bleeder (steaming is normal).

- You ruled out the head gaskets
- You ruled out the T-stat (obviously is opening at the right temperature since you got now the coolant flowing throughout the whole system and it reaches)
- You ruled out also the Coolant Temp Sensor and/or Temperature Switch since the fans are kicking in.

I would say again that you still have some minute air pockets. Some bright and expert minds around may have better ideas as to what causes your coolant to still "expand".

cheers

Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your help, chefro.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear

oh, no problem; you're very welcome

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

what size is the main pipe bleeder allan socket? having the exact same problem>>>any help is appreciated

Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

i have same car with same problem it happended after heat core replacement, i try to rebleed and did not help,can you go step by step how to bleed?

Last edited by uaconnection; 12-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

ok, tried to bleed, by heater core got it a steady flow, but near engine air still comes out after about 10 min. So I stoped, do you think there something wrong

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear

I suspect you don;t have enough coolant in the system.

Ok , try this.
Drain the whole system. If you can and know, make sure you drain the engine as well. At this point you can even run some clean water several times to remove any potential debris.
When you're done, tighten the plugs (the engine drain plug, and the radiator drain plug), and loosen the heater core valve bleeder. Start filling her up until you get a steady flow through the valve bleeder. Tighten, and loosen now the rear main pipe bleeder. Keep adding coolant, but try to maintain the level in the reservoir in between the Min and Max levels until you get a steady flow through that bleeder as well. Tighten, add coolant until the max level and fasten the reservoir cap.
Start the car, go through all the 5 min at 2000 rpm and heater on full speed steps until it warms up to normal running temp. Open up the bleeders again, one by one while the car is idling - use an extension (as a matter of fact you can hardly bleed the rear main pipe one without an extension)
As I said before, you should get a steady flow, and steam (is normal, as the coolant is hot), but you shouldn't get any gurgling or fizzing. When you get a steady flow without any air escaping, tighten. Take the car for a short drive (3-4 miles) and return. Let it cool down and recheck your coolant level. Top it off if needed to Max level.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

thanks, got it done. now coolant overheats. Radiators hot but fans doesnt start, are there any fuses or relays I should check, or sensor. could not find lables for fuse box.

Quick Reply: 1997 Audi A6 problems...Need help