Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Audi A6 -51,478 Miles - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Default 1998 Audi A6 -51,478 Miles - Your thoughts?

I am considering buying a 1998 Audi A6 with 51,478 Miles. The owner was initially asking $6,000. We talked him down to $5,000. We would like to get him to $4,500, but the saler said he would not go lower than $5,000.

Our mechanic mentioned: 1) When need to get the air bag light (that won't turn off) checked out; 2) A mount needs to be repaired underneath the hood to stablize the engine; 3) Eventually the timing belts will need to be replaced; 4) A little oil was seen underneath the car which he thought was from the broken mount; 5) A rear right tire will eventually need to get replaced and 6) There's a hard to see scratch on the bottom of the rear right door.

With all that said, do you think it is worth my paying $5,000 for the aesthectically pleasing, 1998 Audi A6 with 51,478 Miles on it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Used Car

The price sounds fair as long as the car is mechanically and structuraly sound. Before I would commit to this purchase I would definetly look into the issues regarding the, "Air Bag" light and fluid leak. Depending upon the cause of these issues, the repair costs may be relatively small or extremely expensive. If there is a shop near you that has any expertise with Audi's, ask the seller to allow you to have the car checked out. Depending on the outcome...there cold be more room for negotiating. If the seller is reluctant about doing it, it may be in your best interest to just walk away. No Need to Fall into a Money Pit or buy someone elses headache.

Last edited by TwinTurboC5; 09-01-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry to disagree but $5,000 or even $4,500 is too much.

The timing belt could run you $1500 plus at an indy, the tire about $125, and the air bag light fix cold be a lot! You don't say why the tire needs replacement but the others are not too far behind at 50K miles. The oil leak might be simple and get fixed when the timing belt is replaced but it could be a big job if it is not one of the front cam seals.

The front brakes will most likely need replacement in another few miles ($250.00 or so) and I qurantee there are at least three other things wrong that will show up in the next few months.

Check my other posts - and you'll see that I will never spend over $3500 for a mid 90's Audi unless it is perfect - with doccumented proof that the timing belt has been done. I usually end up paying $2500 with a CEL on but only if I know the reason and it is a easy fix.

I would treat the airbag light the same way as a CEL - My estimate is $2500 maybe $3000 but only if you can do most of the work yourself - otherwise you could be spending $8,000 to 9,000 for a vehicle that is only worth $4000.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm, I have to agree mostly with you NH_USA but I really wouldn't emphasize as much on the timing belt as you did. I mean he still potentially has a year or two left of driving the car before needing to think about it. Granted it's an older car and the timing belt should be replaced SOONER than the 80K mark, but i mean 75K is usually a pretty safe bet, meh. I'm just saying that he doesn't necessarily have to include the cost of the timing belt in the cost of the car because it could very well be next year when he needs to deal with it; and that would give him a year to save up for the repair, eh?

I think $5k is a fairly reasonable price if you have a best case scenario: "oil leak" is just the mount (very very plausible), the air bag is minor (keep in mind that they're supposed to be replaced after like twelve years i think? might be thirteen), and the tire just needs to be repaired (you gave no indication of what needs to be done). $4500 is a much better price, but the problem is that they will undoubtedly find SOMEONE to pay the 5K+.

But as mentioned, you're still looking at doing repairs soon. Brakes probably need to be done. Tires are going to be gone soon. Etc.

Last edited by nm3210; 09-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear

The question I would want answered is why he is now selling a "perfectly good", 13 year old, low mileage car? What does he know that you don't?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

@TwinT - when we asked about getting the air light checked out, he said that he is selling it as is (a used car with some issues). When I looked into how much it would cost to get the air bag checked out, the local Audi delearship told me $185 and if I got it repaired the $185 would go towards the repair.

@NH, adding up the potential foreseen/unforeseen cost concerned us as well.

@nm32, when we called to tell him that we were not going to purchase the car for the price that he was selling it for, he said that someone is arriving in 30 minutes to look at it for purchase. So you are right, someone will eventually buy. I just don't think it will be us this time.

@ppg, he told us that his son moved to mexico and didn't have a need for the car considering he had a company car now. We ran the car through car fax, the car had never been serviced at a dealership. It had a few title changes and showed a progression in the increase of milage at their state's local DMV. Like you, we're still asking, what does he that we don't know?

Ultimately, as mentioned, we chose not to buy unless he lowers the price. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, we've started a new search for another car. Thanks for your time and input! Please feel to make any other comments you may have.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

Timing belt is more than milage - I'd plan on doing it cause a failure would cost a zillion dollars and it would be good idea to find the leak..

Thats $185 to diagnose the problem - Just think what it might cost to actually fix it! LOL

Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

No wonder cars get written off by the insurances once the air bags have to be replaced.

It's hard to me to believe that a car has no dealers records!
Identity fraud?